SOME EARLY GLASS.

http://www.bottledigging.org.uk/forum/Topic40098.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By earlyglass - 1/25/2013 9:42:18 PM
...sorry, it's not glass though!.....;)

earlyglass

(and stoneware and delft and anything early and lovely really!!!!)
By eclipsepatent - 11/20/2013 7:58:09 AM
By Kernowworld - 2/21/2012 10:18:39 PM
cheers lads .. chuffed with those two .. glad to be back ( got a few pms to reply to which i will do tomorrow )

heres one of my purchases from tonights truro bottle show ( a lot more to follow )

dated , irridescent , bit chipped ( much better than the phtos)

others which i will picture better soon

By earlyglass - 7/16/2012 10:34:30 PM
Kernowworld (16/07/2012)
what a joy to appreciate your mighty fine cocke again mark

...you don't do bad yourself considering what I saw at your place when you were struggling to put your shorts back on this morning !!!!
:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

....yep you had some mighty fine tackle you showed me, good job you always keep it up, high out of reach of tugging little hands, anything pulled off might cause an accident that'd leave a mess on the carpet...I was especially amazed what you showed me in your bedroom, very impressive!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

earlyglass
By earlyglass - 5/5/2012 9:59:08 PM
Here's another cheaper one but which is just as rare and I was pretty pleased with, I love anything square, rectangular or octagonal....

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 12/29/2012 4:37:11 PM
mykyg (29/12/2012)
:)Look at it like this Wayne; you have just paid for a lesson for, I believe, a lot of us!:)
If I'd have seen those at a boot sale, I would have bought them!

Owe you a pint mate:D

Happy new year

MickG

Thanks Mick and what a prise plonker i am.:D

By eclipsepatent - 8/21/2010 5:20:00 PM
Thanks Andy and im a bit happier now and the drink has worn off,so im going back to correct some spellings! Sorry about that chaps,as it was a hard day for me yesterday.
By andyh - 8/24/2010 3:53:46 PM
cheers wayne looking forward to seeing them

andy

By Kernowworld - 3/6/2012 9:43:54 PM
lovely bottles indeed mark .. it was a real pleasure to see them at the club tonight ....

heres my first , now complete shaft and globe , which i got back from the early glass master tonight ... very pleased with it at a fraction of the price of a  mint one ...

By earlyglass - 8/29/2014 5:49:51 PM
and another....Not sure of attribution on these but they seem to have been made in any number of places including the continent. It is actually a bird feeder, or rather water trough, and I'm sure the centre flat circular area would have been either silvered or had a mirror glued on....just incredibly attractively crude and delightful, mid to late 18thC

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 5/1/2012 6:21:26 PM
Here's the small collection of early bottles i received today Steve. Third in at the top is dark green and theirs a smaller olive green phial.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Think this one is my favourite. Its actually olive green with a pontilled base and has this stunning thick iridescent patina all over the bottle.

Hows this for a pontil and quality control.

Pontilled Conicle apothecary phial.

dark olive green pontilled apothecary phial.

Large dark green pontilled phial with iridescents.

Pontilled truffle bottle.

Rare Large pontilled phial.

Small pontilled phial.

This small pontilled phial has gone a silver colour.

This is one i dug from cranbrook street years ago and it has lovely swirl like striations in the glass.

By Cornish_Collector - 3/3/2014 3:30:04 PM
Very nice apothecary and utility bottles.  You certainly have some lovely early glass Wayne !

Thanks for posting :)

By Kernowworld - 6/7/2012 8:56:59 PM
lovely lovely bottle and gresat , interesting background and the top 4 arte lovely especially the one 2'nd left
By eclipsepatent - 7/1/2012 3:09:02 PM
Kernowworld (30/06/2012)
:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t: thats feckin awesome

Just needed a seal on the shoulder to finish it off Rob!:D Its the first early looking foreign case Gin i have ever dug since digging. Wonder if its common or rare?

By eclipsepatent - 12/8/2012 6:32:22 PM
Ok Rob.:D  If you change your mind and dont want it i have Mark on the emailing list next and also Dave on the forum. Kindest regards Wayne.
By burroughs4me!! - 11/23/2013 9:23:46 PM
absolute WOW :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t: fabulous
By Grobes - 11/26/2013 9:54:03 PM
Ah yes i seem to remember that.

Cheers.
By mudlark - 10/27/2014 8:31:08 PM
This early glass thread has gone a bit quiet so I thought I would post. I bought this little pontilled phial on ebay a while back. It was being sold as Roman but seems a bit atypical. I bought it because it looks similar to Georgian examples from the UK. Apparently it was from the collection of a Scottish stately home but I will "take that with a pinch of salt". What I would like some advice from other forum members on please is .....is it Roman and 1600+ years old or is it English and 250ish years old...or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick?

Cheers

Phil

ANCIENT-ROMAN-GLASS-BOTTLE-19thC-ITALIAN-GRAND-TOUR-SOUVENIR
By eclipsepatent - 12/3/2007 5:57:07 PM
Lovely bottles Mark and the little Bidiford 1695 small Onion is a real belter. Looking forward to seeing some more of your bottles on here in the future. Cheers Wayne. :P
By eclipsepatent - 5/26/2012 5:04:43 PM
Love it Steve and it has everything i like shape - good lip - and nice patina.:D
By earlyglass - 12/3/2007 10:59:02 PM
....This one I got early last year, just love the very early shape...

(sorry if I'm taking over here!?:P

egc:cool:

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 6/3/2012 6:02:34 PM
Thanks Steve and Rob.:D
By eclipsepatent - 11/22/2013 7:47:59 PM
mykyg (20/11/2013)
I'm drooling all over my keyboard! Lovely display Wayne, nice to see; thanx for showing us.:-):):)

Thank you for the lovely reply as its always nice to get some feedback. Take care best wishes Wayne.:P

By Grobes - 7/1/2012 9:57:45 PM
Awsome stuff Wayne.

Especially as you collect bottles with irridescence it couldnt really be any better.

Just dont get the urge to have it acid dipped now will you :P

By Kernowworld - 2/25/2012 6:39:18 PM
loving that square one mate .. looks even better

here we go then but the photos still dont do the irridescence bottles justice

oh and a few phials

By digger jj - 7/21/2011 4:53:43 PM
Hi wayne , great displays what type of sealed bottles.

i have a couple of really early minature sealed gins that would be up for sale to you only if you are intrested.ill pm you some pics if i get some time.

By eclipsepatent - 12/11/2007 9:28:22 PM
They look lovely and i really like the blue bloom affect on the glass. I think this was caused through the glass being cooled down to quickly,but i may be wrong! Reminds me of a fresh picked plum!:D I have owned a couple of sealed onions and mallets over the years,but i have never owned a bladder and i take it the first bottle is a sealed bladder and a nice one at that.    Nice to see you have one with your initials on mate and unusual with the inverted or back to front N. Wayne.:P
By eclipsepatent - 7/2/2012 10:20:42 AM
Thanks Rob and i'll leave the acid alone! :D:D:D I've had a few nice iridescent bottles from the mud and its mainly the bottles you find deeper down in the black stagnent mud that seem to have a nice coating.
By eclipsepatent - 5/27/2012 5:33:56 PM
Its the lip im like most of all Steve and i also like the way the patina goes right inside the lip as well. :D
By eclipsepatent - 2/16/2012 7:55:06 PM
Sounds like you are very busy,so cant see you  doing the very long drive to the Winter National.:D

Did your Bellarmine arrive Rob? and was it as good as condition as it looked in the pictures? as my guess its super condition and looked spot on.

By eclipsepatent - 11/1/2011 9:13:40 AM
Im glad you did'nt Rob. Just received the bottle this morning and where the small chip is on the base their is a hole inside it!;)  So the bottle would leak! So it will have to go back and another item not as discribed.So very disappointing.
By earlyglass - 2/5/2012 10:49:11 PM
top quality iridescence Steve...money can't buy that sort of stuff.:)

earlyglass
www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 2/9/2012 7:42:59 PM
Bloody hell Steve they are all really lovely. I love seeing pictures of your bottles on here as it keeps me devoted!:D Thanks for putting the picture on all the best Wayne.:D
By eclipsepatent - 8/20/2010 5:43:19 PM
Im getting their slowly and if anyone has anything at all damaged or sound i would be interested,as im hungry for new pieces at the moment                                       

Early pontilled snuff with drooping flared lip.

small green pontilled English phial.

Fabulous early English pontilled phial/medicine bottle.Left as found still with the original cork ect.

This was gave to me from John Fourmakis one of the very nicest bottle folk i have ever come acorss since collecting along with Roger Pelloew.Folks like these two who keep me going.

Hope me spellings and pictures are coming out ok and if not you will have to excuase me, as i have been having a tidy drink which is unusual  for me! as i lost a close friend today which has done me up a kippper"" Chocked beyond belief! So gutted i cant speak to anyone at the moment.

Free presnet or gift rom Roger Pellow whoahas been a diamond amongst the rough. Has my name on which is quite sad,but really pleaeed to own a bottle,which is like having a private number plate! Thanks mate

Really lovely utility bottle which came off Mark Nightingale. Mark has some lovely quality bottles and some of the best early bottles i have seen have come through Mark.

Lovely pontilled bottles off Peter Dougals.

1/2 size mini mallet.

By mudlark - 8/27/2014 8:45:59 AM
Hi Wayne

Lets get this thread going again.

Here is my phial (sorry the photo is a bit bad - i will compose another soon) It was found in a garden of a really old house on the Welsh border. The pontil is huge. I still havent cleaned it out its still got the sediment of whatever was in it. I would love to search out more but my small children and mortgage wont allow for buying them really.

Cheers

Phil
By eclipsepatent - 12/26/2011 10:46:05 AM
Cheers Rob and Steve.

Shame the pictures were taken in the evening with my wife's camera and flash as they are a little dark.I will take some better ones in the near future.I found this pontilled English medicine on ebay in America and lucky for me not to many other people saw it,as it was in a non discript catagory which helped immensley with the price and aquiring it.I like the heavy embossing on these bottles and i think Jerry and John Ault both own one.I also recently aquired a pontilled C.Manleys English medicine off the same American guy,which i will put in the comps on the other forum early on in the New Year.

By FRENCHURCH - 2/1/2012 7:02:32 AM
eclipsepatent (31/01/2012)
English 5 1/2" iridescent Apothecary bottle. Sorry theirs so many pictures.

i love this piece :)bonnie:) full of character with blumes of irridescent hues resounding bell of quality, simply stunning:)

By mudlark - 8/29/2014 2:00:46 PM
Here are some pictures of a green pontilled utility I bought In the summer from an antiques fair. Its really crude - glass is squashed out at the base of the neck forming a projection which had somehow survived undamaged and it also has a pleasing angular lip. Quite a nice wonk on it too.
By eclipsepatent - 12/28/2012 5:56:20 PM
Picked these small phials up today which appeared on ebay and cost me £45 with the postage. The large one with the manufacter stress crack worked out to be totally knackered!;) and certainly not manufacter. The crack is so deep i can put my finger nail in it and actually feel the edge of the crack. Shame as this was also the one i was after for the collection as the other two are just so small and one was clear glass anyway.The guy has sent me a £20 refund,so i will swallow it this time round,as i could not be bothered with all the hassel of re-packing & posting and going through a dispute!;) and £25 is'nt bad for a couple of very small phials.Here it is photographed as this was the picture on the listing and theirs no sign of a serious crack and just the description of a manufacter stress crack! and a friend of mine messaged the guy and he said the manufacter stress was nothing in the bottle!;)This is the second bottle i have purchased in the last two weeks,as i had a codd bottle for around £30 which came in two sheets of paper!!;) "broken" of course and i got some of my money back,but the seller would not pay me back my postage! Anyway matter closed and im not going to leave a negative as he has tried to resolve the problem and im sorry for rambling on everyone,just having a down moment. ANYWAY the reason for this post is i wanted to ask if you think this is just a small manufacter stress crack or a crack? Would love to know your thoughts!!

Here's a picture i have taken turned the other way and it looks just fine from the other side.

Here's the one with the manufacter crack!:D

By earlyglass - 12/13/2007 10:52:24 AM
...lovely example of the early ascr Wayne, crude wonky neck etc. These are supposedly 1760 though I still find it a bit difficult to believe, but the evidence is there, and I like the utilities too. They are about the only thing I tend to keep myself. I'll put some of mine on soon. It's not all about mega seals by all means. I much prefer some super little bubbly freeblown utility snuff or such than yet another sealed dated onion, the latter are my bread and butter and are just a living, the former are things that make me coo and go gaga and are what freeblowns are all about.

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 2/22/2014 7:17:29 PM
FRENCHURCH (21/02/2014)
you've done it again :)bonnie:) top of tree with this magnificent sealed onion the patina gorgeous :w00t:the seal beautiful :w00t:& the sleek Reynard the fox & split sized breath taking a jewel:w00t:

What a beautiful reply and worthy of a book Malcy as you have a lovely waying of wording things. Thank you mate, all the best Wayne.:P

By bolwin1 - 12/28/2012 8:28:19 PM
I saw a boxful at one of the UK bottle shows a few years back. £5 each if I recall correctly. I think they were described as modern & from India. Did look the part.
By Kernowworld - 6/10/2012 7:31:05 PM
i enjoy this thread even when theres no pics ....good words to read ...

cobaltcodd is a hard man to impress wayne so dont worry ... :D my cherished rylands water filter was a big ugly orrible thing and most of my other bottles were ok or just ten a penny :D:D:D:D:D i love him really though and hes been a guiding light big brother to me for 2 decades ( yes rog , it is that long :w00t::w00t: )

every collection is a personal thing and we all have some bottles we couldnt sell for any amount as they have sentimental value and stories behind them ...... as rog says as well though .. the thrill is in the chase .....

as for the wine wayne .. just finished the hobgoblin and now staring a bottle of milford point sauv. blanc so  its all down hill from here :D

ps thanks for the nice words wayne and steve

By Kernowworld - 5/5/2012 4:25:30 PM
forgot those 2 wayne , wish i could have afforded them .. did you have a punt ?
By blueskins - 11/20/2013 10:43:42 AM
really nice wayne,top bottles!
By earlyglass - 7/21/2011 10:12:15 AM
Love those extra fine iridescent examples you have Wayne. Top examples and still way undervalued. I've let go of my iridescents in the past but probably regretting it now...;)

www.earlyglass.com

By Grobes - 1/8/2014 12:45:56 PM
Very nice.
By earlyglass - 8/30/2014 8:57:49 PM
all edited now with info for those interested...:) www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 11/22/2013 7:45:48 PM
FRENCHURCH (20/11/2013)
eclipsepatent (20/11/2013)

FABILUS :)BONNIE:) BEAUTIFUL COLLECTION:) THE QUALITY A1 FIRST CLASS  MY FRIEND:)

Cheers Malcy and i missed your reply and the one above some how and i think it was on one of my JD knights at home!:D

By eclipsepatent - 10/17/2011 5:43:29 PM
Here's a strange one. Does anyone know what causes this bluish colour change in the glass. I thought it may be caused due to the glass cooling to quick or is it just the mix of the glass? Either way i think its very attractive and i have an English onion where just the base is this bluish colour.I did see that Mark posted two really quality bottles with this affect.

By eclipsepatent - 2/1/2012 9:11:22 AM
gdcc1 (31/01/2012)
yeah feels like it mate ... that small one in with the other crappy bottles is now on my shelf ... think the seller was surprised it went so high and that i told him to keep the other 4 bottles :D:D

just had an amazing onion turn up today that i got off the bay ...irridescence uunder the glass .. golden , red and allsorts .. smaller size , mint and just lovely ...totally made up by it and much better than the pics .. will put pics up as sson as i can

Looking forward to seeing the Onion Rob when you have some free time. Would also be nice to see the small iridescent bottle that you won on the bay that came with some poorer quality bottles.cheers Wayne.

By Kernowworld - 1/7/2012 7:38:16 PM
some lovely bottles there mark

cheers wayne ... the small one is english and about 17thc from what i remember

By eclipsepatent - 7/6/2014 9:14:53 PM
Wish i could help but you have me stumped on this one. Probably Mark Nightingale or Roger Pellow would have an idea what it is? many thanks for posting it on the forum kindest regards Wayne.
By eclipsepatent - 6/1/2012 6:02:43 PM
Just wondered if anyone has any labelled early glass. I only have these two not counting the Prices Patent Candle which is not pontilled and just happens to be in the picture.

By eclipsepatent - 2/10/2012 10:37:50 PM
:D:D:D

Not really classed as early glass but a lovely little Victorian bottle in top condition and i am putting these pictures on here for a forum member who has asked to see the Ruspini's.

By eclipsepatent - 2/6/2012 10:04:00 AM
Here's a grouping of some of my earlier English medicine phials.#

By FRENCHURCH - 7/17/2012 9:58:39 AM
earlyglass (13/07/2012)
here's another good one, a small bladder...

earlyglass

fabilus bladder :)nightyinagale:) just amazing how temperature can produce:) such blumes:)

By earlyglass - 2/1/2012 12:16:34 PM
vogelfluitje (31/01/2012)
Thanks Wayne......

Mark, thats an English bottle, 18th century and contained elixer of some kind.........???? Absolute guess on my part.

Sorry if it seems I am copying you Rob.....but your view on it sounds about right......

:D

hmm, yes sorry the pic doesn't show it too well, I'm being a bit unfair - you guys won't know that this bottle is as light as a feather, the walls super thin, and it's soda glass.......no more clues......yet!;).........
keep going back anyway....:D

earlyglass

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 6/10/2012 7:19:54 PM
You do have some nice bits Rob and especially as you are trying to bring up a family at the same time and i take my hat off to you mate. My Cobalt codd has some super bottles and i dont think he was to inpressed with my poor collection some years ago but it has grown immensley and more probably to his taste now.:D
By eclipsepatent - 11/1/2011 7:26:56 PM
Oh well the guy has done the honourable thing and refunded me without me having to go through ebay. Mind you i will loose the postage for sending it back recorded and signed for,but thats better than keeping a bottle with a small hole.

At least Mark and Rob never purchased it,as theirs nothing worst than the excitement of opening a parcel, to find the bottle you have been drooling over is a load of crap.:hehe:

By Kernowworld - 7/23/2012 5:37:00 PM
thats lovely mate .. i was one of the underbidders :w00t: nice nice bottle
By Kernowworld - 12/8/2012 4:49:19 PM
have you a price on the onion mate .. nice elixir .. rogers old one i think
By FRENCHURCH - 12/6/2013 4:14:13 PM
the squat dated seal magnificent & what a gloss ,,also the patina onion smashing

thankin you kindly for sharing :)bonnie:)

By earlyglass - 5/7/2012 8:57:13 PM
eclipsepatent (07/05/2012)
Thanks for the information on the sealed spa bottle Mark and such a little stunner. This bottle has blown me away and what a super dream bottle it is. I could look at it all night.I can remember years ago a small snuff bottle coming onto ebay with a wopping seal that was just fabulous. Think the seal was from London and i wish i had kept a picture of the bottle as it would have been a great one to add here.

...you mean this one Wayne? :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

This is my official all time favorite seal I've ever owned or even ever seen....to me it's better than any sealed shaft and globe.....;)

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 6/2/2014 2:08:10 PM
Nothing much to post just a basic English Onion and a picture of one of my cabinets.

http://www.bottledigging.org.uk/forum/Uploads/Images/b34e9d7e-de4f-4685-bf2f-b2ec.JPG

http://www.bottledigging.org.uk/forum/Uploads/Images/295bb0f6-4167-429a-ad2c-fc58.JPG

By eclipsepatent - 3/10/2012 6:47:01 PM
Cheers Chris.

I think the seller probably got a fair few emails and started to realise it was much better than they expected and then decided to take some better pictures and relist it. Just lucky really right place at the right time for a change!

By demetae - 1/28/2012 11:21:36 PM
Love the Glanaravon seal :) Have a few from West Wales but much later (1820s-30s). The free blown for 50p is a bargain fairly new or not and theres something about it that I like well done on picking it up
By wez - 12/16/2013 10:58:17 AM
Really nice is that Wayne thanks for showing super duper :D
By Kernowworld - 2/5/2012 9:39:59 PM
cheers wayne and steve ... will honestly try and get more pics on soon ....

cheers mark ...looking forward to it

they are awesome steve ....very nice indeed

By clivef - 5/6/2012 9:18:02 PM
Awesome thread - this last one is almost comical.
By eclipsepatent - 5/1/2012 7:56:47 PM
vogelfluitje (01/05/2012)
Just looking at that lump of glass protruding from the bottom of the bottle!
Ive had many that wont stand up due to excess glass left on the base, but none quite as mad as that one ! Very interesting bottle and looks like thats the proof that they worked on a piece work rate, making as many as possible to earn their money!

Thats very possible Steve. Also mayeb the guy was tired when he did this one or was a novice glass blower or just good old human error!:D Its quite unique though and definately a keeper. I have got to have a bit of a sort out soon and part with a few as my shelfves are bursting at the seems or was that my trousers.:D Wonder where the third muscateer is? as i have'nt seen him on the forum recently.

By bottlesjhbottler - 8/4/2011 11:01:46 AM
earlyglass (07/12/2007)
tonight's serving....

closeup of this amazing gigantic sussex placenamed bottle, got earlier this year..

and just a nice dated, placenamed onion withoodles of aging... I've had this one twice. Who's going to have it next?....:P

served:P:P:P:P
By andyh - 8/2/2010 11:41:22 AM
hears some of mine the onion on the right is still half full of wine recoverd from the flying heart wreck brought from mark(earlyglass) and is my favorite i will put some pictures of my wines on later

cheers andy

By FRENCHURCH - 1/30/2012 8:57:04 AM
earlyglass (29/01/2012)
That one was one of my first apothecary phials i bought years ago, bought it/traded for it when I was in Bermuda, from a good friend who got it from the iconic Mr Hume. I must ask him sometime where it came from....visions of Williamsburg provenance? etc etc???:P...hmm...probably not!!! I can't have everything!!!!!:P

here's another...

oops sorry! not what i thought it was, oh never mind!:D

HI :)NIGHTYINGALE:) COULD YOU DESCRIBE PONTIL ON THIS ALMOND LOTION AND DATE PLUS SIZE THANKIN YOU KNDLY:)

By eclipsepatent - 5/5/2012 12:01:40 AM
I really love these and what a great shape and finish to the lip.
By FRENCHURCH - 11/20/2013 11:41:57 AM
eclipsepatent (20/11/2013)

FABILUS :)BONNIE:) BEAUTIFUL COLLECTION:) THE QUALITY A1 FIRST CLASS  MY FRIEND:)

By fossilfred - 12/2/2011 7:39:45 PM
Little beauty Wayne.What size is it?,whats the piece of wire or string and if you dont mind me asking where did you get it.:)
By bottle - 11/25/2013 9:12:50 PM
Whats the going rate for these squat shapes wayne? Specifically ones like your sig pic? Would i be miles off at £200-£400? Beautiful bottles anyhow, many thanks for showing.
Cheers
Cam:)
By bulbous neckus - 12/7/2007 2:02:48 AM
THAT'S A WEIRD LIP ON THE SUSSEX BOTTLE --- IS IT AN EXTRA PIECE OF GLASS STICKING UP ?  A GREAT BOTTLE, DO YOU STILL OWN IT ?

:)

By eclipsepatent - 4/19/2012 4:27:30 PM

By eclipsepatent - 12/2/2011 6:37:33 PM
Wide mouth Dutch Onion.

By eclipsepatent - 8/24/2010 3:34:47 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Nevthedigger - 11/1/2009 5:01:12 PM
Marvellous set of pics! Some mouth watering photos there Wayne, the pic of the detached seals together is awe inspiring...
By earlyglass - 1/31/2012 9:17:46 PM
Excellent attribution Steve, totally agree, you probably see more of these sort of things than I do.

Here's another very special one for you guys....let's see what people think it is first:D

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 3/22/2013 2:50:06 PM
Thank you Rog for the infomation and feedback on the bladder really appreciated mate.:P
By eclipsepatent - 7/23/2012 7:43:29 PM
Thanks Steve for the reply,as i did'nt have a small one in this shape.
By FRENCHURCH - 6/4/2014 5:19:50 PM
eclipsepatent (04/06/2014)
Thanks Malcy and i am very sorry for missing your reply and also for keep missing your phone calls. Monday mornings before 10 is a good time to reach me mate. Hope you are keeping well best wishes Wayne.:D

I was getting very worried thank goodness your okay I,ll fill you in on all the:smooooth: news & scandal soon :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:
By eclipsepatent - 11/23/2013 7:51:21 PM
Couple of more pictures.

By Kernowworld - 3/7/2012 3:14:52 PM
cheers malkey ... hes done a good job for sure ... heres its current resting place ...

By eclipsepatent - 7/21/2011 9:49:38 AM
target (20/07/2011)
some nice gear in them cabinets wayne for sure ,is that the french tin glazed ointment you just bought off me on ebay i spy on the top shelf in the second picture ??? thanks for sharing the pictures

all the best peter

Hi Peter. Thats another smaller tin glaze pot that i picked up a couple of months back off ebay. Thanks for the tin glaze pot as they are something i dont have in my collection mate.

Cheers Wayne.

By bottlesjhbottler - 11/20/2013 8:05:49 AM
very nice collection mate
By eclipsepatent - 5/8/2012 2:35:26 PM
Just picked this wine up which came today in the post. I supose you could class it as a long neck Mallet but i may be wrong.

By eclipsepatent - 8/20/2010 6:21:55 PM
Thank you John. It was off our mate down the club,who has been really good to me helping me out with aquiring some new early bits and bobs for my collection.                                                        
By earlyglass - 5/7/2012 9:07:46 PM
Mark Potten (06/05/2012)
[quote]earlyglass (06/05/2012)
..and you might appreciate this one Steve...in particular...

www.earlyglass.com[/quote]

Superb bottle Mark - I know it does n't rattle but what sort of price would it fetch?

pm sent Mark

www.earlyglass.com
By sj220163 - 7/20/2011 8:20:18 PM
That is one heck of a display , stunning variety , thanks for showing
By deepbluedigger - 4/30/2008 4:23:34 PM
No matter what words anyone used, they'd be inadequate for describing how incredible it is that that bottle was dug!
By eclipsepatent - 1/28/2013 6:37:44 PM
cam (27/01/2013)
Nice tin glazed pot Wayne, your very lucky being in London & being able to dig gear like that. Is the sack bottle American mark?:)

Thanks Cam and i guess i am lucky being so close to London as theirs plenty of older dig always coming up. Problem is the security is murder in London now days and im always getting kicked off sites! all the bets Wayne.

By compaq - 12/4/2007 3:58:21 AM
Mark that Bidiford 1695 seal has to rate as one of nicest bottle's ever displayed on this or past BDUK forum's.....many thank's for posting.
By FRENCHURCH - 12/26/2011 7:07:08 PM
eclipsepatent (25/12/2011)
Had enough of company and watching TV for today,so i thought i would load a few random pictures on to releive the bordum.The bottles in this first picture are not mine.

TWULY FABILUS EARLY MEDICINE ONE RECALLS ONE IN AUCTION IN ABOUT 1987- 1988

THANKIN YOU KINDLY FOR SHOWING :)BONNIE:) A TRUE PLEASURE I,VE ALWAYS HAD THE HORN ON FOR THAT ONE OF GILEAD:)

By earlyglass - 2/14/2013 12:12:03 PM
Got this one recently. never seen a sealed widemouth case before and the seal is particularly interesting, obviously a merchant's mark and reminiscent of some of the bellarmines marks??

By earlyglass - 7/13/2012 9:47:43 PM
thought we could look at some more effects....heres a good example of overall blue bloom...(it's also actually squared off body shape, but that gets a bit forgotten when yoyu see the colour...!)

earlyglass
By earlyglass - 11/1/2011 9:39:59 AM
Sorry to hear that Wayne. Just so much hassle for us, and it pains me to say it, knowing my hatred of the lords of ebay, but I guess at least we do get some comeback with ebay sometimes in these cases. You don't get any chance with regular auctions. I spend hundreds/thousands often without being able to see the bottles, and just have to take the unlisted damage when it occurs on the chin...

I was going for this one as well but it went over what I wanted to pay in any case, and certainly with damage.

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 3/9/2012 5:08:50 PM
Maybe my photography is better than the bottle!:D  Nice buying something off you Mark and we should do it more often.
By earlyglass - 4/19/2012 8:52:37 AM
vogelfluitje (13/04/2012)
Really, I stand corrected on that then ! :)

What was the size roughly of the ones you had then ? As only today I was talking to someone about this and they had never seen the size I mention even and that goes for more collectors too!

I've had two or three small ones, here's (eventually) a pic of one. I don't have the measurements to hand but you can see how small it is generally. I will try and find more details...

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 11/21/2013 8:01:11 PM
Thanks Rob.
By eclipsepatent - 7/2/2012 1:47:00 PM
Recent Ebay purchase.

By eclipsepatent - 2/12/2012 6:50:00 PM
Rob your PM BOX is full matey.
By mudlark - 7/3/2014 11:10:48 PM
Whats this then?

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and have an interest in early glass. I've had this for about 18 months or so now and it sits nicely against my other early glass bottles and bits and bobs but I'm not really sure what it is. From the crude bows and swags decoration and pontilled construction it looks to be early 19th century. Ive settled on salve pot, then leech glass, then open flame lamp but I cant make my mind up. Has anyone got any ideas? As you can see its got a lovely crude flared lip, its made from bottle glass rather than lead glass and it sits about 3 inches high.

Cheers

Phil

http://www.bottledigging.org.uk/forum/Uploads/Images/787dfd14-982f-489e-9197-8044.jpghttp://www.bottledigging.org.uk/forum/Uploads/Images/9492a542-650c-4bc6-bb5e-3d69.jpghttp://www.bottledigging.org.uk/forum/Uploads/Images/8783eb93-4525-4f45-9ed8-2ec3.jpgc

By earlyglass - 5/14/2012 8:59:00 PM
Thanks for the kind comment Wayne, yes very, very happy!....:)

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 12/26/2013 11:42:05 AM
Thanks Malcy.:P I was pleased with this little one as its a nice size not being to small or to big and i like the lip /string rim. Beats socks and pants and a tun of after shave i never use.
By amberstar - 3/31/2012 2:55:21 PM
That's an incredible hamilton Wayne! One of the best early examples that I've ever seen.
By eclipsepatent - 11/26/2013 9:42:27 PM
Mr Digger1 (25/11/2013)
some nice early bottles wayne thanks for posting some pictures.

Thank you Steve thats very kind of you. Hopefully see you  Saturday is you are going.

By Kernowworld - 12/8/2012 6:24:17 PM
i hate you i hate you i'll have it mate .. thanks .. dont tell becky :D:D:D
By fossilfred - 1/27/2012 8:15:25 PM
My God!!! Steve, they are ---------speechless.Now i,ve got back on the chair,i luv em.
Keep posting these gems but please give a warning message before,some members are getting on and the shock:sick:
;):P:D
By eclipsepatent - 2/6/2012 10:46:29 AM
That makes sense Steve and the craft sods! I find a lot of the earlier phials seem to have a huge kicked up pontilled base,yet with wines likes shaft & globes the base tends to get more shallow again as they get earlier. Boy theirs more to learn about early glass than i ever realised!:hehe:
By eclipsepatent - 11/1/2009 4:23:41 PM
A few more bits and bobs.

Not one of mine,but im looking for a fat squat pontilled phial like this one if anyone ever gets one for sale.

By newell76 - 5/8/2012 9:32:37 PM
thats a lovely looking bottle wayne:)
By eclipsepatent - 3/22/2013 9:47:10 AM
Its sound condition with no cracks but does have a chip to the string rim as per usual,but i am very pleased as it came via a good friend and its the first Bladder i have ever owned in all my years of collecting and nice to get one on the shelf at last. Thanks for the reply Kindest regards Wayne.:P
By eclipsepatent - 5/9/2012 4:17:42 PM
I was the under bidder on this one which was quite upsetting as it was low the whole week that it was on Ebay and i got over confident and lowered my original bid. Fatal mistake!;) Part of the string rim was repaired but what a great shape and size and i just really loved it.

By eclipsepatent - 2/25/2012 7:56:38 PM
Jesus Rob well impressed with the collection. Love all the different shapes of the Onions and also the stunning iridescents and especially the one with the rainbow affect.Also the onion transitional mallet with the sloping shoulders on the far right is very unusual and a form i dont have yet in my collection. And as for the phials they look superb. We will soon be calling you Rob Nightingale.:D
By eclipsepatent - 10/5/2011 7:06:29 PM
Shame theirs a letter B missing!   Would have said BBR. :D:D:D

By FRENCHURCH - 4/18/2012 8:05:30 PM
a very pleasing dumpy squat form :)stevevogue:) with seal first class wee gembaroonie :)
By Digger Dave - 12/3/2007 4:18:57 PM
WOW, some really nice bottles there lads, i love the look of them all. Thanks for posting :D
By earlyglass - 8/29/2014 9:02:11 PM
yes you are right Malk sorry, will go back and edit them....:blush:

www.earlyglass.com
By Kernowworld - 12/23/2011 8:34:48 AM
stonking mate , stonking , esp. that far back left one
By FRENCHURCH - 7/13/2012 5:00:02 PM
:)thats a gorgeous wee petit thang :)stevevogue:) so cute:)
By mykyg - 2/14/2013 12:24:51 PM
Wow mega case bottle.What would have been in that? Thanks for showing

MickG
By bolwin1 - 4/13/2008 9:26:42 PM
Here are 3 dated seals in my collection. 

Squat IW 1775, Onion Ed Jones Burton 1723, later squat -  Davies Maescrigge 1824

By fossilfred - 2/7/2012 9:05:26 PM
Lovely selection Wayne,like the fact they look only slightly cleaned,quick rinse.
Really enjoy this early glass section.Thanks to all posters:) for their time and patience.
By Kernowworld - 12/26/2011 12:01:24 AM
drool drool
By Kernowworld - 1/6/2012 8:36:54 PM
smallest phial ?

with a few more bits on

By earlyglass - 1/29/2012 9:04:28 PM
vogelfluitje (29/01/2012)
Now that one is very nice !:D....absolutely delicious.....good enough to eat.....:w00t: what size is it please Mark.

Steve

sorry, been trying to get back on all nite but internet playing up.

the little handled phial is under 3" tall...amazing little thing.

But none of these for sale, i like these early phials too much myself.

whil;e I'm here..

By eclipsepatent - 2/20/2014 6:32:20 PM
Small split size sealed English Onion wine bottle.

By eclipsepatent - 2/12/2012 3:45:54 PM
Cheers Rob.:D
By chelt original - 6/30/2012 7:49:58 PM
thats nice, love the ballerna and the colour, wonder how it got to this country.
By eclipsepatent - 2/20/2012 3:40:12 AM
Another super little bottle and i dont think i have seen one so squat or stout in shape and size. Is this classed as a snuff? or is it a small utility?
By FRENCHURCH - 1/26/2014 1:12:05 AM
eclipsepatent (17/01/2014)
Just thought some of you would like to see this dutch onion which is not mine.# Unusual having two seals.

that's just gorgeous alround piece at a few good angles first glass :)bonnie:) nice to see diffirent things:)

By eclipsepatent - 7/20/2011 6:14:39 PM
Here's a picture of one of my recent cabinets. Mainly forms rather than seals as i have the better sealed bottles put away seperate. Been quite on this thread for a while so i thought i would post a couple of quick pictures. Im still looking for sealed bottles etc if anyone wants to sell anything drop me a line. Kindest regards Wayne.

By Kernowworld - 2/2/2012 8:14:56 PM
a shaft and globe ive got in the repair shop awaiting return

a few crap pics of my new onion ( good ones to follow )

a craP PIC OF MY NEW MINI PHIAL ( LARGER OF THE TWO SMALL ONES )(better pics to follow )

By earlyglass - 7/21/2011 8:19:38 PM
eclipsepatent (21/07/2011)
Thanks Mark as thats a lovely compliment coming from you mate,with your extensive knowledge and experience.Theirs nothing really expensive in these two cabinets,but just a nice mixed bunch of different items.Kindest regards Wayne.

that's the way it should be Wayne. Yes i get all sorts of mega money stuff through my hands, but a good amount of it does nothing for me, at least not after the initial small buzz. Sealed, dated onions etc are bread and butter to me, but show me a small crude utility, that probably has cost me way less than a couple hundred and I'm drooling and acting lovesick for days...aesthetics and historical interest, crudity and craftmanship are the things for me.

And now I've just added to my lamp collection...oh joy of joys!!!! one I've been after for a long while and that means far more to me than the sealed shaft and globe I just bought....:D

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 1/11/2012 6:11:58 PM
That long iridescent phial has stunning patenation and it looks English to me Steve. Im sure Mark will know if he see's your post. The small fat one looks continental and the small one im not sure about.
By Kernowworld - 5/6/2012 7:21:13 PM
i agree with that ... you do seem to ferret out some great bits

those 2 are lovely as well mark

i know its not early glass as such in the same vein but i seem to have got a collection of georgian glass going on

oh and a proper bit of early glass i got off rog ... been trawled up and cleaned years ago but still has the worm lines

By eclipsepatent - 6/10/2012 7:38:54 PM
I find messing around trimming the bushes and generally messing around in the garden on a nice warm day very relaxing,especially when everyone is out and its all quite. Off to have a go on the Wii Mario Cart with my daughter now and i was going to name myself eclipsepatent on their,but somehow ended up with the name black wasp.:w00t::hehe:
By compaq - 2/29/2008 1:04:18 AM
eclipsepatent (28/02/2008)
Sorry the Bellarmines in the picture

I'm pleased it's in the photo what a nice trio that is :) what does the seal read Wayne I can't make it out, nevertheless, it's another fine photo I always look forward to your contributions.

Many thanks for posting P.  

By chelt original - 6/11/2012 12:37:18 AM
the two things ive noted from this conversation, (that have nothing to do with early glass. As early glass is like a fine wine and i drink cider) are the rylands water filter being ugly which is true, and far from early considering its in the companys last days after not evolving to the current technology and not leaving codds alone which were at the time  that ryland engeneering co ltd came about (1927?) a dying (dead) trade.

The other subject being the relaxation acheaved from gardening,  with my the quote being...

Weeding...

"Many gardeners will agree that hand-weeding is not the terrible drudgery that it is made out to be

it is a soothing monotony

that leaves the mind free

to perfect the brilliant repartee

with which they should have encountered a relative's latest example of unreasonableness."

By auld_boot - 5/1/2012 7:45:49 PM
"Think this one is my favourite. Its actually olive green with a pontilled base and has this stunning thick iridescent patina all over the bottle."

Don't worry Wayne there's nothing there a quick tumble wouldn't sort out!

Of course I'm only kidding, fantastic bottles thanks for posting them.

By earlyglass - 5/6/2012 9:42:17 PM
eclipsepatent (06/05/2012)
Never seen a seal place this high on a bottle. Just crazy!

It's a rare Pouhan Spa sealed spa water.only one I've ever had, and the iridescence just added to the character.

If you like crazy, I think this one is crazy flat...

By eclipsepatent - 7/21/2011 10:02:27 AM
hiramscodds (21/07/2011)
Yes and that transfers  black to boot.:P

Whats wrong with a black print ?  Just curious as i am still learning and know little about these pots and are the black printed ones no good.

By eclipsepatent - 4/29/2008 10:30:00 PM
Here's the decanter Shaft & Globe which was on ebay earlier. One of the best bottles i have seen in years and what a one to dig. Looks about 1670 - 1685 in date. cheers Wayne. :P

By Grobes - 12/16/2013 9:45:18 AM
Very nice.

The pound coin looks dodgy though.
By eclipsepatent - 6/2/2014 3:27:40 PM
Thanks David as its nice to get a reply. I have approximately twice this amount but know more cabinets free for displaying at the moment. Not sure where i am going with my collection at the moment though, as the hobby is very corrupt and polutted with fakes now days.

Take care all the best Wayne.
By eclipsepatent - 1/30/2012 8:46:52 AM
Steve love those iridescent bottles of yours and this bottle Mark put on is just amazing.

This gold iridescent one is a beauty.

By bulbous neckus - 2/29/2008 2:16:40 PM
GREAT BOTTLES, BUT THAT HAMILTON'S A BEAUT !

By Kernowworld - 12/23/2011 9:49:23 PM
i love this thread .. very jealous ... great bottles and info's ......im lovin it
By Kernowworld - 1/29/2012 8:17:50 AM
i'll stick my neck out here and say that 50p bargain is an original old one ...i'd double your money on it :D:D:D ( and then some ;) )
By eclipsepatent - 1/27/2014 5:42:03 PM
Cheers Malcy for the replies. Just thought a few of the members would like to see these but their seems to be a lack of interest in early glass on the forum.:D
By eclipsepatent - 2/22/2014 7:14:57 PM
Mr Digger1 (20/02/2014)
nice bottle wayne , I thought that was a good buy if that came from john.

Thanks Steve.

By Muddy - 12/13/2007 2:03:46 AM
Man that blue bloom is just awesom:w00t:

What's the earliest dated seal found so far?

By Kernowworld - 1/29/2012 10:46:39 PM
paul the other one :D

lovely bottle

By eclipsepatent - 12/31/2011 9:23:17 AM
Cheers Ken. :D
By eclipsepatent - 4/28/2008 9:58:20 AM
Nice seals mate and the onion i really like. Keep me in mind if you want to move the onion on and sorry for asking. best wishes Wayne. :P
By Kernowworld - 10/16/2011 6:04:40 PM
english for sure i reckon and its bloody lovely
By earlyglass - 3/8/2012 11:12:30 AM
FRENCHURCH (06/03/2012)
earlyglass (06/03/2012)
...yes that's right, there are those little pear shaped lead glass ones with Smythe, usually quite crude and delightful and a couple other odd ones also.
here are a few more recent, sorry they're not glass:P

earlyglass......(and stoneware!!!!:P)

FABILUS GLAZE ON THIS WARRENS :)NIGHTYINGALE:) JUST GORGEOUS:) EVER SO AESTHETICALY PLEASING ,THANKIN YOU KINDLY FOR PICCYS:)

Thanks for the comments Malkey, you and I obviously enjoy bthe same things. I just had to have this one, couldn't get a better glaze. I think I will probably just get that shallow flake on the lip restored, it's such a irritation otherwise being on the front. But yes, just love this piece best of all the stoneware I've had for a while, except perhaps, I also like the Coopers Damsons slab seal. But this Warrens is even more rare and earlier, so I guess this one has the edge on looks and history. Shame I have to sell it!!!!:crying:
earlyglass
www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 11/25/2013 5:32:13 PM
Thanks mate. :P
By soda_syphon - 12/25/2013 9:10:23 PM
Or is it to make amends for breaking that rare London Codd !!
By eclipsepatent - 1/23/2014 7:41:35 PM
Sealed Dutch Onion Just sold on ebay.

By eclipsepatent - 6/30/2012 7:28:50 PM
Dug this early looking Gin this morning from the mud / boat moorings and once washed and dried up it went a beautiful iridescent rainbow colour which looks stunning and the pictures dont do it justice.

By Kernowworld - 3/6/2012 10:06:44 PM
CHEERS WAYNE ... HES DONE A FANTASTIC JOB ON IT  ... I LOVE  IT .... NOT SURE IF THE METHOD AND MATERIAL IS A TRADE SECRET OR NOT
By Kernowworld - 1/29/2012 3:26:41 PM
cheers bud .., i think you liven up the forum yourself mate and make a valuable input which we all appreciate greatly .. between you and steve its becoming a very valuable reference source and better than any book as its constantly updated ... nice one
By eclipsepatent - 2/10/2012 4:59:32 PM
I know you are right and i must sort something out sooner or later as i miss so many things through being home late or falling asleep. CAN YOU TELL ME?  Once you have set a price, if later on you decide you do not wish to bid,can you reverse the process, or is is set in stone once the price is fixed?
By andyh - 8/24/2010 3:46:34 PM
wot a colection wayne is there any chance when you have time you could put a couple of pics on of the onion (that looks red) and the swirley mallet

cheers andy

By fossilfred - 6/2/2012 7:55:26 PM
I once had a pontilled clear glass labeled jam. Very crude wobely shape,sold it at the bletchly winter national,years ago.sorry dont have a picture.Also had couple more,also pontilled but not labeled.Sold them for peanuts,would have kept them now!! mind you i could say that about alot of stuff i had:D
By eclipsepatent - 2/16/2012 7:04:17 PM
Hello is anybody their! )))))))))) :D:D:D 
By Kernowworld - 2/10/2012 6:49:35 PM
HI GUYS ... SORRY IVE BEEN MANIC BUSY RECENTLY .... STACKED OUT , PREGNANT WIFE AND NEGOTIATIONS WITH 2 T.V COMPANIES FOR THE CLEARANCE COMPANY :cool::cool::cool::cool: I SERIOUSLY NEED TO GET SOME PICCIES ON ..... AM LOVING THIS THREAD AND YOUR BOTTLES .. THANKS FOR SHARING THEM WITH US ...
By cobaltcodd - 7/20/2011 10:34:21 PM
The one in the picture looks like a Chardin / Hadancourt?
By eclipsepatent - 1/19/2014 7:55:50 PM
Cheers Rob and that double sealed onion is a strange one.
By eclipsepatent - 5/6/2012 8:12:34 PM
Never seen a seal place this high on a bottle. Just crazy!

By eclipsepatent - 5/4/2012 6:00:19 PM
Kernowworld (03/05/2012)
they are awesome wayne ...love em ... well done on finding them out

sorry for lack of responses but so busy at mo that when i get on here im so tired i cant be bothered to post much

you have both made this my fav thread

i weill get some pics up very soon of new gear ive got

Cheers Rob.:D

By Kernowworld - 1/31/2012 9:28:02 PM
nice mark and a bit different

im gonna be totally wrong .. 18th c , english , liquer !!!!!!! just say the opposite and it will be right

By earlyglass - 9/5/2014 9:17:53 AM
I've never seen anything like that, but I am suprised I don't remember reading that even....I've read his diary twice now and it is suprisingly fascinating stuff, if you are a nerdy like me into 17/18thC social history....

www.earlyglass.com
By fossilfred - 1/31/2012 7:47:39 PM
Very nice Wayne,do you know any more,eg,where found etc.:)
By earlyglass - 7/18/2012 10:39:37 PM
FRENCHURCH (17/07/2012)
earlyglass (13/07/2012)

earlyglass

fabilus bladder :)nightyinagale:) just amazing how temperature can produce:) such blumes:)

Thanks for your appreciation Malkey. Obviously these were taken at just the right angles to see the bloom best, but there's no photoshopping or anything, I always liken the blue bloom on blackglass to the bloom on black grapes.

earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 5/8/2012 5:30:03 PM
Thanks Steve for the reply and its a shame that we have the same tastes in bottles, as we cant buy sod all off each other! :D:D:D
By eclipsepatent - 7/21/2011 9:50:43 AM
cobaltcodd (20/07/2011)
The one in the picture looks like a Chardin / Hadancourt?

Here's a picture Roger.Base is a bit nibbled but not to bad over all.

By earlyglass - 5/16/2012 12:13:22 PM
yes certainly Rob, will be taking it there as you can imagine......:)

www.earlyglass.com
By earlyglass - 3/15/2012 2:09:44 PM
Just thought I ought to bump this thread up again with some recent bits

Here's an interesting bit of earlyglass you don't see very often. A linen slicker, pretty rare and magnificently heavy!!!:D have put this on ebay just...

also popped this lovely little phial on there...

and recently got this excellent little halfsize sealed mallet, delightful, though one BDUK forum member will be cursing!!!:P

Richard Newman is well known a merchant mariner from Dartmouth, had many dealings worldwide and was pretty important in the general South Devon area...

regards
earlyglass www.earlyglass.com
By earlyglass - 10/10/2011 10:07:04 AM
ah yes fond memories of those Malkey. Both nice blue bloom items. The Cocke is square too....!!!!!

yes I hear the fashion for serial killers these days is bright colours!:P:P:P:P

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 2/8/2012 9:45:16 AM
fossilfred (07/02/2012)
Lovely selection Wayne,like the fact they look only slightly cleaned,quick rinse.
Really enjoy this early glass section.Thanks to all posters:) for their time and patience.

Thank you for the nice comment really appreciated. Cheers Wayne.

By Grobes - 11/1/2011 7:10:17 PM
Ouch, thats a real shame.  Such a nice bottle.
By Kernowworld - 1/30/2012 10:42:47 AM
wow .. they always said john had a whopper :D:D:D
By eclipsepatent - 1/8/2012 6:19:38 PM
I would also say its transitional onion/shaft & globe. Nice bottles Steve.
By FRENCHURCH - 10/10/2011 11:26:23 PM
[quote]earlyglass (10/10/2011)
ah yes fond memories of those Malkey. Both nice blue bloom items. The Cocke is square too....!!!!!

yes I hear the fashion for serial killers these days is bright colours!:P:P:P:P

INDEEDY :)NIGHTYINAGALE:) UMMM ONE WOULD,NT DESIRE SYMETARY TO RULE THE DAY AS WOULD RUIN THE DAY:)

OH YES HERE'S A :w00t:COUPLE:w00t: OF:w00t: THOSE :w00t:CEREAL:w00t: KIELLERS:w00t:

:w00t:EEEEE :w00t::)CORNCOLLIE:) ONE HOPES YOU MEAN :)MARILYN MONROE :)

TIS A BERLOVELY DATED BELLARMINE :)ARC

By fossilfred - 10/4/2011 6:15:24 PM
great bottles,nice to see them,better comment incase they get taken off!
thanks Mark.;)
By earlyglass - 11/22/2013 10:36:28 AM
A nice grouping and mix Wayne.
My one criticism and it's just a personal display-orientated thought is that some of those superb iridescent ones you have (and I know you have one or two excellent examples, as good as any I've seen) to me always look better on their own - i.e. away from the "shiny" stuff, so I would personally put the iridscent aged surface ones together, and the shiny ones in another area. Also to me in both cases, mixing up the forms helps avoid the "rows of the same thing" look. i.e put in amongst the sealed cylinders some of your small utilities....etc. It just seems to break up the boredom and makes each individual item look better.

But that's only my personal taste and opinion. Try it and see what you think.

earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 6/8/2012 10:37:14 AM
You must have the best collection of small pontilled bottles in the world Steve.
By eclipsepatent - 6/14/2012 11:41:18 AM
Its a real prety one Steve,but the surface coating is a bit unstable on this one so i have to handle it with care. Been quite on the early front at the moment and i need to add something new before i go mad!:D
By eclipsepatent - 2/10/2012 6:53:58 PM
Quote: PREGNANT WIFE

You naughty boy.:P Aint you got satelite TV down their in Cornwall. :D:D:D

By eclipsepatent - 1/25/2013 7:30:11 PM
Nothing to exciting but these couple of dug pontilled phials with white / orange coloured patina which were dug days ago off a site next to the river Thames.

By eclipsepatent - 12/23/2011 9:11:25 PM
Thanks Steve. :D:D:D

Here's a couple of interesting links on small pontilled phials/bottles.

http://www.theglassmuseum.com/vials.htm

http://www.theglassmuseum.com/Englishvials.html

By leverc - 12/3/2007 8:41:46 PM
simply stunning
By earlyglass - 7/13/2012 9:48:48 PM
...no inuendoes please, have heard them all!!!!!:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 12/3/2011 9:34:22 AM
Not mine im afraid but i have a chance to purchase the wide mouth Dutch Onion for £550. No idea why theirs a piece of string around the neck and probably whats left of a price tag! I posted the bottle on here as i thought it was unusual and maybe to get an idea what it was worth if anyone knows anything about these.cheers Wayne,:D
By Cornish_Collector - 11/1/2011 5:25:30 PM
By FRENCHURCH - 1/30/2012 2:56:39 PM
spot  on :)nightyingale :)of the wee :)bulbowesarus:) with his:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t: big gun:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

however disagree with other photoshoping bottle

as seen aqua codds turned into blue a bit of fun but only needs a freudster becoming wise and placing such piccys on ebay

By eclipsepatent - 2/28/2008 8:13:57 PM
Sorry the Bellarmines in the picture,but i took this picture for one of my Best Three Competitions on the codd ohilc forum a while back.

By leverc - 10/30/2011 6:12:25 PM
Thats beutiful Wayne !!!

Is that hand painted? from production or at a later date do you think?

By earlyglass - 12/8/2012 8:11:33 PM
...BUGGER!.....I'm telling Becky.....!!!;)

Earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 3/12/2012 8:27:14 PM
No idea on the small early Truffle. Im guessing some where bewteen 1800 and 1840's. Would be nice to know the age of the Turligtons.
By hiramscodds - 9/10/2014 12:02:36 AM
Sorry Mark but for me it was a mistake showing interest on your facebook site,ive just had a flood of messages from every other tom,Dick and Herbet thats posted on your site,which must have been forwarded by facebook themselves and not by the posters.

its just reminded me why i dont normally participate on other folks pages,any idea how i can stop more coming through as i dont want to cancel my page altogether as i use it for family posts only.cheers.Peter.
By earlyglass - 12/8/2007 11:03:47 PM
....thanks for the info though.

No I wouldn't think it was a chemist bottle, though it's so odd it could always be. Probably just a "few off" special commission for someone wanting to show off.

www.earlyglass.com

By Grobes - 3/7/2012 5:25:00 PM
Marvellous display Rob.

Thanks for the pics.

By Kernowworld - 5/8/2012 9:23:47 PM
thats awesome wayne ... quite like one of my onions ..lovelyyyyyyyyy
By cdnpontils - 2/14/2013 12:46:56 PM
Would this be Dutch?
By bolwin1 - 12/6/2007 12:17:22 AM
Love the blackglass Wayne & Mark. My favourite backglass item ever has to be this tiny sealed dated shaft & globe in the museum of London. (I wonder if they'd sell it to me if I offered a tenner...)

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/object.asp?obj_id=444108 :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

By eclipsepatent - 4/1/2012 8:33:58 PM
Two great bottles Steve and i love the smaller one on the left. Thanks for posting them all the best Wayne.:D
By eclipsepatent - 7/22/2011 12:20:45 PM
lostworld (21/07/2011)
If that collection was sat in my front room I would be endlessly looking at it and never get any work done:)

Wonderful collection you've put together there Wayne and I just love those phials and utilities especially some of the iridescent examples.

Thanks for showing

ATB

Stu:)

Thanks Stu and i have a little peak as i walk post most days and the wife just thinks im mad! Some of those small phials are really nice but they just look like a green blur in the picture which is a shame. Im still looking for a good sealed onion for my collection. I was told about a stunning sealed onion by a friend and i fell in love with the bottle and it was in London recently with a fox on the seal and the onion had lovely pull or stretch marks in the neck and a faint iridescents and just about as perfect as i would ever have liked one. But where i was so busy with work i forgot all about it and i was only working around the corner in Hatton Garden and i sulked all day once i realised i had missed the bottle and i cant tell you how gutted i felt. Think it sold for £3,600 plus add ons as i know i could have gone a good stretch more.Sure it was a Devon or Cornwall sealed onion as well.

By kendolbottles1black - 12/31/2011 6:44:41 AM
thats a great looking bottle you cant get more character than that cheers ken:D
By Mr Digger1 - 2/20/2014 7:01:53 PM
nice bottle wayne , I thought that was a good buy if that came from john.
By cobaltcodd - 7/18/2014 7:07:26 PM
I think it's a bit too ornate and decorative to be a leech jar or cupping pot, not really a salve pot and I don't think a spirit lamp.

Basically it seems to be a rather attractive small posy bowl.
By eclipsepatent - 5/2/2012 8:54:20 AM
Cheers Steve and maybe that youngster is keeping him busy. I may drop him an email to see if he is ok.

I just found out where the pontilled phials were found,as they were found about 30 years ago by workmen digging up an old footpath outside the old fire station in Brigg. The Truffle bottle came from a very small early tip just outside Lincolne and the larger European bottle came from other sources in think.

By Kernowworld - 1/21/2012 9:15:13 PM
your new ones really appeal to me big style  steve but its funny that these do absolutely nothing for me

am really enjoying all the pics though .. thanks for posting them

By eclipsepatent - 12/7/2007 11:41:33 AM
Love the 1720 dated Westwood onion mate. Been after a good small dated English onion for some years now and i just hope i can get one before i pop my clogs!:D  Incredible lip on the Sussex Onion.
By eclipsepatent - 7/23/2012 3:01:16 PM
Small globular pontilled phial which was a recent Ebay purchase.

By eclipsepatent - 2/2/2012 6:19:12 PM
Thanks Steve.The light green one is nice,but i love the iridescent one more. I will have to get them all photographed at some stage as theirs 67 phials in total in my collection counting these two.
By eclipsepatent - 12/9/2011 1:32:35 PM
I agree with Rob they look great and those little long neck onion shaped phials are lovely and i like the two sqaure examples. Two types i am still missing in my collection. I really like all the different coloured iridescents more than anything else and then shape plays a big facter. I also still need a nice early conicle example with a deep kicked up pontil base. John Ault had the best one i had ever seen years ago in olive green which i think was found in Gravesend clearing and old building.
By earlyglass - 10/17/2011 9:20:07 PM
There are two sorts of blue bloom. Glassgall, the one mentioned in Steve's post (as per WillyVDB) is fairly rare but VERY contrasty and beautiful, usually over most of the bottle. Slag is an all meaning term that can relate to a variety of glass batch conditions and mix ratios in the pot. The blue bloom that I would say Waynes image shows a very good example of is slightly more common occurencegenerally and usually relates to a temperature difference effect when working the bottle. It usually shows itself on the bases where pontilling takes place, or the necks and lips where stringrims are applied. in both cases the area is re-heated directly or indirectly by the pontil rod in the one case and by putting the lip back in the eye and/or applying the stringrim. In Waynes image case the effect has in fact spread over more of the body, which is much rarer for this type of bloom, and is essentially down to reheating of the entire body to do some additional re-shaping. The actual chemical effect or explanation is not something I know enough about, just I know it is an effect, probably in combination with certain atmospheres at the time of blowing.

Hope that explains somewhat. it's a nice example Wayne.

www.earlyglass.com

By trog - 4/28/2008 4:31:30 PM
Here is my one and only and it was given to me.This was being used as a doorstop and was full of sand when I first came across it.

By earlyglass - 10/8/2011 8:25:30 PM
...my very latest addition, showed up near me and had to fight off a fair bit of competition from commission bids etc.  What is the world coming to? People trying to pip me to the post in my own specialist area, right on my own door step! never heard the like!!!:D   as if!:P

Excellent form and condition, total classic, now just to find out who James Adams was...

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 4/6/2012 7:21:00 PM
fossilfred (05/04/2012)
Hi here they are again,must be the fact i deleted some old photos because a warning came up to say i was over the limit on the forum.
How do you put your photos on direct show not as click ons.

Think they are both lovely and thank you for posting them on the forum and if you ever get bored and want to sell them please let me know mate. Kindest regards Wayne.:D

By hiramscodds - 9/10/2014 8:41:40 AM
Thanks for that Mark,will do.cheers.Peter.
By Kernowworld - 5/9/2012 6:29:20 PM
drooooooooooooling over those two guys
By earlyglass - 1/29/2012 7:16:35 PM
...BUT...this one blows everything else away....

www.earlyglass.com
By earlyglass - 10/4/2011 3:00:51 PM
Added some more...

These are always weird, they are German but rarely found there, nearly always over here or in US, so presumably an export orientated item or wine..Sorry about the small size, only just realised I saved the wrong one..!

Everyone knows about this one I guess, but here it is anyway. Would love to knopw what the original owner thought about it. was he mad when he saw it? Did he get it at a reduced rate? or did he have fun pressing the seal into sealing wax on his letters etc and it would then read the right way round?

I collect these rolling pins. small ones anyway, but has anyoine seen any smaller?

Still like any of the early phials, though...and love these classic shaped pre-mediaevil examples

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 11/12/2011 5:18:20 PM
Cheers Mark and this one was sound and actually better than the description for a change.:D Really pleased. The one with the hole is another story! ;) I did get all of my money from the seller, apart from the postage for sending it back 1st class Recorded delivery which he should have also paid me back,as none of it was my fault! The bottle with the hole came in a cerial packet! ;););) with no bubble wrap! :hehe:Think i still have a picture and if i can find it i will add it to this thread to give you a laugh.:D:hehe:
By earlyglass - 12/7/2007 1:31:57 AM
tonight's serving....

closeup of this amazing gigantic sussex placenamed bottle, got earlier this year..

and just a nice dated, placenamed onion with oodles of aging... I've had this one twice. Who's going to have it next?....:P

By eclipsepatent - 10/17/2011 2:40:06 PM
Never mind Steve. Anything related to S & G's is worth something in some shape or form. My friend had an unsealed S & G with the neck and lip missing and would have killed for one of those to try and match up for a repair. The bottle ended up on ebay and i think it made around £300 without the neck!
By fossilfred - 10/2/2011 6:26:32 PM
Not getting any pictures Mark?:hehe:
By earlyglass - 12/13/2007 9:59:16 PM
..........only when I get too cold though........:D

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 6/10/2012 6:45:49 PM
Quite an interesting read Steve and i know where you are coming from as i have seen vast collections and then seen another colletion with just one bottle i would gladly give all my bottles away for!. I have also seen some super collections over the years and David Walker Barkers is one that stuck in my head and definately one of the best early glass collections i have seen and also very well presented and a display of museum qulaity standard.
By eclipsepatent - 1/29/2012 3:17:16 PM
marshmallowsky (28/01/2012)
Unless you know for certain that it was dug up Wayne I wouldn't be sure that it's that 'old' it looks a lot like the tops on the more modern free blown persian bottles to me!?! Still at 50p it can't be bad! :P

Hope it turns out good for you ;)

Chris

Definately dug,as it had hard rust on the bottle that i removed and not easily and i finished washing some dirt etc out. It was purchased off a totally genuine person who does a bit of digging in his spare time and stuck a 50p price tag on it.Theirs a pontilled apothecary bottle on ebay with the same lip at the moment. cheers Wayne.

By eclipsepatent - 10/16/2011 6:07:28 PM
I could have purchased it for £150 including p&p, but the guy wanted me to send cash,who i dont know or know anything about,so i let the ittle bottle go which is a shame Rob.
By Kernowworld - 10/16/2011 6:20:42 PM
yeah you gotta be careful mate and trust few people and it does sound iffy .... its a lovely bottle but i would have thought thats top wack for it but im probably wrong .. win some , better off losing some
By Kernowworld - 2/29/2012 8:03:25 PM
course i dont mind mate

thanks for the nice comments lads

will put a few more from the seconds :D cabinet soon

thatds a nice few bottles steve thanks for posting

By eclipsepatent - 2/22/2014 7:15:40 PM
soda_syphon (20/02/2014)
Many sincere thanks for taking time out to bring these significant, early bottles to our attention. Much appreciated.

You are very welcome and thank you for the lovely reply.

By eclipsepatent - 4/4/2012 9:12:41 PM
Octagonal utility is lovely. I missed the first set of pictures which seem to have disappeared.
By eclipsepatent - 12/13/2007 10:09:09 AM
Hi Muddy. Mark (earlyglass) will no,but i think the earliest whole dated example is something like 1657 or around about that age,but i think a broken earlier seal has been found. cheers Wayne.:P
By Kernowworld - 1/29/2012 8:47:18 PM
very nice but i dont think they are roman .... 18thc i would have thought
By eclipsepatent - 12/24/2013 4:50:21 PM
My wife got me this small pontilled apothecary phial for Christmas all though a little premiture.Measures 3 3/4" inches in height. Sorry the pictures are poor as they were taken indoors without a flash.

By eclipsepatent - 1/29/2012 3:20:31 PM
gdcc1 (29/01/2012)
i'll stick my neck out here and say that 50p bargain is an original old one ...i'd double your money on it :D:D:D ( and then some ;) )

Rob i could'nt think of anyone i would like to help out more on the forum,as your enthusiasm is incredible and as i have got to know you more in the last months, i have realised your a diamond geezer for sure matey.:D

By eclipsepatent - 10/18/2011 2:41:24 PM
Grobes (17/10/2011)
Thats a beauty Wayne.

Thanks for posting the pics

Cheers Rob.:P

By Grobes - 11/20/2013 11:36:42 PM
Very nice Wayne. A real hard to get all in one place collection.
By Kernowworld - 6/10/2012 6:53:32 PM
yeah good thoughtfull words and wisely said steve , and wayne ..... we all some nice bits and are happy to share them .... i been lucky to get a few nice bits ... EVEN Mr cobaltcodd said a nice word about my early stuff :D:D:D:D:D
By eclipsepatent - 7/3/2012 7:11:29 PM
Cheers Malcy. £29.99 off Ebay which i thought was cheap as i sold one last year for £60. all the best matey Wayne.:P

By eclipsepatent - 2/6/2012 10:31:53 AM
Thanks Steve for the comments.

The globular one on the far right was found behind a wall in Oxford and probably my favouite one i own, but god knows what it was doing behind a wall. The little green one at the back came off a forum member and i think may have came out of the river at Colchester.The one on the far left also came off a forum member which had been in his collection since the 70's and he kindly sold it to me just before Christmas,so he will have to be on the list next for a good bottle off me in return. And the other one at the front came off ebay as a well know forum member pointed this one out to me on ebay.It was found in Ipswich in Sufolk clearing some sheds to an old building in the high street and still has the cork in the top with a rotten paper type seal. This bottle has a huge kick up in the base like the others,apart from the green one at the back which i think is a little later around 1700 or their abouts,but still has a nice pushed in pontilled base.

By eclipsepatent - 12/23/2011 3:48:53 PM
Hi Steve. Here's the two Mallets i still have. One has P.G scratched on the side. Sorry the pictures are poor,as i have just taken them inside the kitchen,as its nearly dark outside. I will get some pictures of the phials on later,as im off to look at some bottles shortly.

I will take some pictures of the phials when i get back home this evening.

By Kernowworld - 6/10/2012 7:59:56 PM
cheers steve . thankyou

bottles have kinda kept me on the straight and narrow over my life .. had some pretty shitty times but bottles have never been far away ..i owe it all to that crazy biology teacher back in school about 1990 that brought some old bottles in .. all roberts fault but i owe him a lifetime of gratitude .....

lucky becky knew i was a bottle freak when we first met and accepted me and my mad hobby but as you have both said , tastes mature and i think that has what has led us into the early glass .....

this milford point is good and the older bottles are a no - go area

By cdnpontils - 3/21/2013 7:22:00 PM
Nice..looks perfect..
By eclipsepatent - 1/27/2013 4:52:22 PM
Cheers Mark and i dont think it matters that it is'nt glass as its a super early item.My entries are very boring or low grade of recent,but here's a tin glaze pot i dug in the week off the Thames site. I had several tin glaze pots,but this one is the best condition out of all of them.It has a slight blue tinge to the tin glaze.

Also i have this paperweight which was not dug but purchased at a boot sale local to me for £3. Its pontilled and has no damage.

By Kernowworld - 7/16/2012 8:19:38 PM
what a joy to appreciate your mighty fine cocke again mark
By FRENCHURCH - 8/29/2014 3:45:47 PM
mudlark (27/08/2014)
Hi Wayne

Lets get this thread going again.

Here is my phial (sorry the photo is a bit bad - i will compose another soon) It was found in a garden of a really old house on the Welsh border. The pontil is huge. I still havent cleaned it out its still got the sediment of whatever was in it. I would love to search out more but my small children and mortgage wont allow for buying them really.

Cheers
Phil

superb kick up in fab translucent aquamarine a piece fully of character & the age very appealing mudlark:)
utility a good one from an antqiues fair great stuff phil:)

yes bonnie:) has splendifeous items he has shared
By FRENCHURCH - 2/29/2012 4:48:09 PM
SUPERBLY SHAPED REMINISCENT OF THEE ORIGNAL TENNIS RACKET AS BATTERING BALL OFF WALLS PLUS THE PATINA WITH LIGHT PASSING THREW REMINDS ME OF LICHEN OR MOSS AGATE FIRST CLASS:) STEVEVOGUE:)

:)ROBNEE:) LOVE THE DATED ONION FABILUS IRIDESCENT RAINBOWS COME A RUSHING THREW THE DARN SCREEN:)

By Kernowworld - 1/8/2012 4:30:07 PM
i would say a transitional shaft and globe and would think the dates about right .... have a vague idea of value but prob miles out ... such a lovely bottle
By earlyglass - 9/7/2014 9:54:46 PM
I love these early apothecary onion phials and this one of the best condition, just about as perfect as any I have ever seen. C1700+ They always bring to mind those Holbein and similar paintings of apothecary interiors with weird and wonderful contents...

By eclipsepatent - 11/26/2013 10:31:18 PM
Hi Cam. :D Thank you for the lovely reply.:P At present i dont have a picture of all the phials together but sometime over the Christmas period i will get some pictures sorted. I am currently looking for a large wall cabinet for the phials as i quite liked Marks idea about splitting some of the bottles up into different catagoires and having the iridescent bottles all in one cabinet together,so in the new year that will be my next job. Top shelf second in from the left is a split sized sealed shaft & globe and second in from the far right is a larger un-sealed shaft & globe. Kindest regards Wayne.
By earlyglass - 2/10/2012 1:18:07 PM
...wasn't me. I left what I thought was strong bid, but not that much!!!!!:w00t:

earlyglass
www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 1/8/2012 6:22:16 PM
cornish_collector (07/01/2012)
Some fantastic Early bottles and phials Wayne, Steve and Rob (love the mini Phial Rob)  Also thanks Steve for taking the time out to post the pictures of the Dolls house miniature Onions.... never seen any as small as that before :)

Also thanks for the kind comments on my stuff  ;)

Cheers Mark

Mark your pontilled English meds and cures are really lovely and you have some great pieces their. Sorry for the slow reply as i missed your posting on the forum. Thank you for taking the time to put all the pictures on as well, kind estregards Wayne.:D

By eclipsepatent - 9/9/2011 5:54:30 PM
My unsealed Shaft & Globe.

By Toxic Boy - 12/4/2007 4:57:39 PM
let me know if you want any of them tumbling ;)

No, but seriously - a very impressive lot of bottles and it makes you think, these days putting 2007 on a bottle would mean nothing as bottles are just thrown after use. If the guy who put the seals on these bottles was told that it would still be around 300 years later he'd laugh his head off!:w00t:

By soda_syphon - 2/20/2014 9:09:29 PM
Many sincere thanks for taking time out to bring these significant, early bottles to our attention. Much appreciated.
By earlyglass - 8/29/2014 5:51:03 PM
and another....it's a wasp trap. Early 19thC, you put sugary water in the trough inside and the wasps get attracted crawl in underneath and onceinside can't fly out again. (there is usually a loose stopper in the mouth). Commonlyseen in clear glass in this country, this isan extreme rare andhighly desirablepanelled emerald green version. These come in several colours....:)

www.earlyglass.com
By earlyglass - 1/30/2012 10:26:46 AM
...yep sorry...have messed up this thread now...ah well, here's another one I "found" a while ago which of course that great conneisere....connesseur.....conn....conness....   collector of quality earlyglass had to get his mitts on!:D

(old forum hands will have seen all these years ago, apologies:))

earlyglass

By eclipsepatent - 12/3/2007 8:23:53 AM
Here's a few to have a look at. cheers Wayne.:P

By eclipsepatent - 7/1/2012 3:09:51 PM
trog (01/07/2012)
Hi Wayne.

A very nice bottle which dates to around 1890 and is scarce and very desirable for Gin bottle collectors:)

Thanks David for the info as thats very helpful.:P

By eclipsepatent - 3/6/2012 8:47:23 PM
Love the sealed case gin shaped perfumers bottle sealed and complete with label what more could you  ask for. I could live with any of those stoneware items. Thanks for posting them Mark.
By eclipsepatent - 10/15/2011 5:30:12 PM
Same here Steve would love to know about the AB initals on these little dated Bellarmines as i have a small dated one but with a different date to Marks. Was their many whole ones with no damage? As i was told their was only about five or six that were in good condition and were'nt in pieces. cheers Wayne.:P
By eclipsepatent - 10/10/2011 9:20:35 PM
The little Dated Bellarmine is stunning Mark.

And the dated Mallet is beautiful.

By eclipsepatent - 7/21/2011 10:29:48 AM
Thanks Mark as thats a lovely compliment coming from you mate,with your extensive knowledge and experience.Theirs nothing really expensive in these two cabinets,but just a nice mixed bunch of different items.Kindest regards Wayne.
By kendolbottles1black - 10/2/2011 4:18:48 AM
fantastic bottle it doesnt need a seal with that kind of character
cheers ken;);)
By Kernowworld - 2/11/2013 6:55:01 PM
SOME NICE BITS BEING LISTED

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181079048765?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

By earlyglass - 7/18/2014 10:14:15 PM
sorry, only just seen this, yes certainly early 19th, typical quick wheel engraving, and you have already suggested several possibilities - can't add much more, possibly a face powder though at this age not so often a makeup product as something a little more practical..
www.earlyglass.com
By fossilfred - 2/1/2012 6:13:43 PM
I,m going for Syrain,and contents of a healing oil,or perfumed water.:unsure:
By eclipsepatent - 12/26/2011 5:04:03 PM
Here's two of my European pontilled phials.

By earlyglass - 4/13/2012 6:19:52 PM
[quote]vogelfluitje (13/04/2012)
Heres an earlyish little one Iswapped off my matetoday.

I have had a couple over the years, but let them go.

This one 9.cm tall.

Interestingly the smallest known sealed bottle in the world is one of these types, measuring in at just7.2cm.

Sealed and pontilled ......Rykseigendom..... A utility mainly used for pharmaceutical applications.

A Dutch medicine bottle dating around 1820.

RYKSEIGENDOM, meaning property of the state.

Used in pharmacies of the Dutch Navy/Army.

[/quote

.....c'mon Steve, who told you that one? smallest seal in the world 7.2cm? I've had several smaller than that by quite some way myself, though they were Rykseigendoms admittedly, that I probably would agree with.
earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 8/24/2010 3:58:04 PM
Here's one of the iridescent squat/mallet with a couple of other bottles. Found two pictures and did'nt know which one was best,so i've posted both.

Here's the iridescent onion on the far right, which is a beautiful gold and copper colour. Picked this bottle up locally from a add in the paper that a digger driver had put in the for sale section. The onion was found in Romford in Essex on a construction site whilst using the digger in the town centre.

I may have all ready posted some of these pictures,as i cant remember!:hehe: so sorry for any repeated pics.

By marshmallowsky - 10/16/2011 10:00:11 PM
earlyglass (08/10/2011)
was pleased to get this one a few days ago, nice early squat shape, that I always like, as well as the benign face and date of course.

www.earlyglass.com

Aarghhh!!! I was your underbidder :)

It looks soo good :P
By Kernowworld - 12/8/2012 6:46:16 PM
cheers wayne .. will sort out payment with you dreckly ..i have a spot already for it
By Kernowworld - 3/7/2012 11:34:31 AM
you carry on mark .. would like to see it myself .... my shelves look like a mixture of pellows and nightingales with the odd other purchase thrown in :D:D:D:D:D:D
By FRENCHURCH - 1/28/2012 11:41:35 AM
vogelfluitje (27/01/2012)
Well I like to see this thread growing:D so decided to show a few pics of my rarer glass bottles.

Mini Shaft and Globe 10.5 cm

The other two black glass forms are perfect except for a tiny chip to one lip.

FABILUS ITEMS :)STEVEVOGUE:)  EVER SO CUTE MINI SHAFT & GLOBE THANKIN YOU KINDLY :)TAKING THE TIME TO POST PICCYS FIRST CLASS:)

By Grobes - 11/26/2013 9:01:43 PM
What's the square one top left. Is it that Wayne's bottle I showed you ? Or something earlier ??

Would like to see some close ups of the flat octagonal utilities please, they look nice and wobbly.
By earlyglass - 5/6/2012 8:07:56 PM

www.earlyglass.com
By Kernowworld - 1/14/2012 8:07:58 PM
lol @ wayne

bloody hell steve .. you doing really well of late .. them are some class items ...keep it up

By eclipsepatent - 11/26/2013 9:41:36 PM
bottle (25/11/2013)
Whats the going rate for these squat shapes wayne? Specifically ones like your sig pic? Would i be miles off at £200-£400? Beautiful bottles anyhow, many thanks for showing.
Cheers

Truth is i dont actually know. Most like these top three examples have come along around the values you mentioned,but the one in my signiture picture cost me £600. They seem like they are getting more expensive every year. Thanks for the reply kindest regards Wayne.

By chelt original - 8/24/2010 11:34:47 PM
Here's the iridescent onion on the far right, which is a beautiful gold and copper colour. Picked this bottle up locally from a add in the paper that a digger driver had put in the for sale section. The onion was found in Romford in Essex on a construction site whilst using the digger in the town centre.

omg:w00t:  thats gotta be a once in a life time thing, well done on that:)

By Kernowworld - 2/29/2012 9:17:11 PM
cheers mate ....

theres an odd mix but all of it has a story

the seal is just ' R ' which i had to buy for robert or rebecca  ;);)

i too love the belly and glad i managed to get it

jc actually dug the enamal sign and gave it to me as it was a tip near my home town and hes a great lad

By Kernowworld - 2/12/2012 6:54:26 PM
AARRGHHHH
By eclipsepatent - 10/16/2011 5:55:35 PM
Is this English or continental?  The lip looks continental,but the pontil looks English.

I was offered this little utility the other day which was found diving.

By FRENCHURCH - 3/6/2014 12:01:39 AM
the globular apothecary glass bottles so creatively made:) good to see forms etc :):):)

as usual first class :)bonnie:) by the way the iridescent utility smoothe tastie:)

By earlyglass - 3/6/2012 10:50:07 AM
...yes that's right, there are those little pear shaped lead glass ones with Smythe, usually quite crude and delightful and a couple other odd ones also.

By eclipsepatent - 12/25/2013 10:41:16 AM
Your not far wrong as she wants another Ifor williams horse trailer!! :D:D:D
By Grobes - 12/29/2012 9:27:07 AM
Iirc there's still half a box of these 'otto of rose' bottles up for grabs at £15 each usually on a table at elsecar. I bought one from eBay several years ago. Doh.
By earlyglass - 9/10/2014 8:15:43 AM
Hello Peter, I think I know what you mean, you're getting actual emails from facebook, saying that so and so has posted on such a group site?....I think I had that early on with one or two groups I joined for selling anything in the very local area (kids toys/clothes etc) and I was inundated with email notifications every time any one posted anything!!!!!.
If you go to that group site and look at "notifications" you have some choices to tick of what level of notifications you want "ALL posts" Friends posts" or "off", so if you look at those and select something less encompassing...or none at all, then that will hopefully solve your problem. You shouldn' have toleave any group at all, just amend their notification level.
Let me know if you still have a problem. I'm no xpert and am learning all this myself. ....I went on the group yesterday and everything had "gone" which gave me a brown trouser period for a whileuntil I managed to sort it out....:)
regards
earlyglass
By earlyglass - 1/27/2013 10:12:25 PM
cam (27/01/2013)
Nice tin glazed pot Wayne, your very lucky being in London & being able to dig gear like that. Is the sack bottle American mark?:)

No Cam, these Delft Wine bottles are all English. They come in a variety of dates and wines notated on them, Sack, Whit etc, also some more personalised with coats of arms etc.
What made you think they might be American?..just out of interest?
earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 2/22/2012 4:45:42 AM
That damaged sealed dated onion is super and i wished i lived closer to Roger and i like the two phials. Was all those little deltf pots for sale that was on the table Rob?
By eclipsepatent - 5/1/2012 7:05:24 PM
Thanks Malcy and Steve and you two are nearly always the first to add a nice reply. cheers Wayne.:D
By eclipsepatent - 12/23/2011 6:26:27 PM
Hi Steve.

No idea at all what the P.G. means. Could just be someones initials at the time or on the other hand it could be the initials of a publican or the intials of the Inn.

The green striated phial measus 4 7/8" inches in height,so i good size,as most are around the 3" size or smaller.

By Cornish_Collector - 3/10/2012 7:50:13 PM
By FRENCHURCH - 8/29/2014 6:06:20 PM
a gorgeous mixture nightyinagale :)first class and thankin you kindly for sharing:)

:)but could you please for the uninitiated describe what each fab item is & rarity etc etc etc:)

being worldly wise comes with a great amount of time et ect etc
By eclipsepatent - 12/28/2012 8:41:44 PM
cam (28/12/2012)
Definatley a crack Wayne- looks a bloody big one too!! But they aren't as old as they first appear- it was featured in a BBR mag a while back. A lot of people thought they were 17th or 18th century, and someone emailed AB saying they saw a boxful whilst on holiday! They do have some age though, mid Victorian I think? I still like them though, really crude with the deep kickups!also glad you got some cash back, eBay's a minefield these days!:)

Thanks Cam and getting worst by the minute. :D Im usless at Ebay.:hehe::hehe::D

By eclipsepatent - 2/16/2012 9:33:07 PM
I thought so,as it looked very good in the pictures and well done on tracking down an ebay bargain. Lucky bugger.:D:D:D
By eclipsepatent - 7/13/2012 6:14:16 PM
Blimey Steve thats a little beauty. Dont thik i have one in a bladder shape that size.

By Cornish_Collector - 1/7/2012 4:39:28 PM
By FRENCHURCH - 3/5/2012 8:27:32 PM
splendid  :)nightyingale:) do recall having cylindrical wee pontiled bottle in flint glass from smythe:)
By bottle - 2/11/2013 7:40:32 PM
some good bits there man, but this one is exceptional...

photo 018-7.jpg

just stunning....:)

By eclipsepatent - 12/6/2007 1:46:16 AM
aint that just fabulous. Thanks for the link mate and that has to be one of the best wine bottles i have ever seen.
By eclipsepatent - 5/10/2012 9:36:42 AM
I was only kidding about buying the bottles Steve,as i know you are as keen as me and Rob or if not more!  Mind you many a true word said in gest!!:D:D:D
By eclipsepatent - 5/4/2012 6:03:06 PM
vogelfluitje (04/05/2012)

Nice and colourful 17th century phial type,4.8cm in height.

Its colourful in these pics but it wasnt always this way!

To see what I mean go to the thread named COLOURS and all will be revealed there!

It might take a few hours to put on though as I have a Crappy internet connection today!;)

Still dont own one this shape and style. Love the strange patina on this one and the colours reminds me of a opalised ammonite that come from Madagascar.

By eclipsepatent - 2/29/2012 5:13:51 PM
I agree with Malcy as it does look like moss agate or lichen. I love the thinner square utility/medicine you put on before the wider square snuff. I also like your two small salt glazed oil bottles. Thanks for all the effort as per usual Steve as its really appreciated, cheers Wayne.:D
By eclipsepatent - 12/27/2011 7:27:13 PM
Thanks Rob and Malcy for the replies. The Dr Solomon's are quite a nice looking bottle,as they have heavy embossing that just gives them that early look. Would murder for a green one!
By eclipsepatent - 11/1/2011 7:29:32 PM
cornish_collector (01/11/2011)
Don't blame you for sending it back Wayne. A chip is one thing but a hole is a bit much if not mentioned in the original description, shame as It's a great looking bottle.

There was a time when I would have accepted any damage not mentioned and just take it on the chin, but now I always return if not as described.

Thanks Mark. I knew it had a chip, but the small hole was something else and something i could'nt live with.

By eclipsepatent - 3/31/2012 5:35:05 PM
Thanks Jack for the kind comment. cheers Wayne.:D
By FRENCHURCH - 6/2/2014 2:28:44 PM
an achievement gathering all those seals bonnie:) & iridescent pieces bringing great warmth to the collection:)

,, the differing shapes cascading as one pans across the picture:) .

the tangible quality of these early hand made glass items unquestionable:) ,

well I feel I,m almost there:)

first class bonnie :)thankin you kindly for sharing:)
By clivef - 3/11/2012 12:12:10 AM
Here are some really early turly's - poss my favourite bottle of all time. The one on the right is poss as early as 1790.

By eclipsepatent - 12/5/2007 8:14:26 PM
Fabulous shaft & Globe Mark and it looks just about as early as they get. I would kill for a bottle like that mate and i really love it.  Whats on the seal?
By Kernowworld - 1/28/2012 7:55:14 PM
bargain time again there wayne ...nice one
By eclipsepatent - 1/31/2012 8:46:48 PM
WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS ONE THAT WAS SENT TO ME.

By eclipsepatent - 3/1/2014 7:31:00 PM
Think you are the politess person on the forum Malcy and always a pleasure to read your replies and posts. Will have to take some better pictures one day as i took these quite late when it was getting dark.
By earlyglass - 2/1/2012 7:51:38 PM
...next one

a little more obvious this time...:P

earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 2/22/2014 7:19:07 PM
cornish_collector (21/02/2014)
Super onion Wayne, wouldn't mind that on my shelf ;) Have you found out any information regarding the seal?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark.:P The seal belongs to 

William Pierrpoint, Duke of Kingston of Tong Castle in Shropshire.
Thanks for the reply kindestregards Wayne.:P
By eclipsepatent - 3/12/2012 5:11:10 PM
Very small Truffle bottle.

By eclipsepatent - 1/21/2012 8:36:27 PM
Thats an amazing piece of glass Steve. Would love to see what the pontil is like and thanks for posting it on the forum.
By Grobes - 12/8/2011 10:14:42 PM
Fantastic little groupings.

thanks for sharing the pics.

By walt 1 - 2/22/2014 10:27:59 PM
lovely English onion wayne sex in glassware a pleasure to view :)
By earlyglass - 5/6/2012 8:10:02 PM
Don't see many this colour or size, plus it has a fascinating inscription. I'll have to get it out again to remind myself what it says...sorry!

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 12/8/2011 8:34:11 PM
European phials and small pontilled bottles.

By eclipsepatent - 7/21/2011 6:31:13 PM
Im always willing to have a look Jordan. Im more sealed wines,but i like all catagories.
By eclipsepatent - 5/2/2008 5:42:41 PM
deepbluedigger (30/04/2008)
No matter what words anyone used, they'd be inadequate for describing how incredible it is that that bottle was dug!

"and also survived with that fragile handle after 330 years being burried in the ground etc" !:hehe:

By earlyglass - 1/29/2012 10:35:07 PM
That one was one of my first apothecary phials i bought years ago, bought it/traded for it when I was in Bermuda, from a good friend who got it from the iconic Mr Hume. I must ask him sometime where it came from....visions of Williamsburg provenance? etc etc???:P...hmm...probably not!!! I can't have everything!!!!!:P

here's another...

oops sorry! not what i thought it was, oh never mind!:D

By Cornish_Collector - 3/9/2012 3:39:42 PM
By bottle - 1/27/2013 5:21:19 PM
By eclipsepatent - 12/25/2011 9:58:27 PM
Had enough of company and watching TV for today,so i thought i would load a few random pictures on to releive the bordum.The bottles in this first picture are not mine.

Not to sure on the age of this one i have and i think its a snuff bottle.

European pontilled wine bottle with high kick up to base.

One of my favourite iridescent pontilled bottles i have. DR SOLOMON'S BALM OF GILEAD,NEAR LIVERPOOL.

By Cornish_Collector - 1/8/2012 6:26:24 PM
By Kernowworld - 2/2/2012 6:54:23 PM
love the irridescence one wayne ... cant wait to see the pics of the collection ...i may be able to taker some pics tomorrow
By eclipsepatent - 7/20/2011 8:04:41 PM
Cheers Billy. :P
By Cornish_Collector - 10/10/2011 6:18:54 PM
By eclipsepatent - 8/28/2014 1:37:47 PM
Looks a real beauty mate and a nice deep aqua colour with a good inverted base. The ones i dug simular to this shape were dug with Mallet wine bottles so probably date between c.1730 to c.1750 Thanks for taking the time to post some pictures really appreciated. Wayne.:)
By eclipsepatent - 12/8/2012 5:52:15 PM
Hi Rob.

If you want the mini onion £35 plus £5 for P&P. I will list it tomorrow now Rob just incase you decide to have it mate. Might make a good repair or just nice to put on the shelf amongst the bottles. The body has no cracks. Take care all the best Wayne.:P

By earlyglass - 8/29/2014 5:52:20 PM
one more.... classic English shaft and globe with attractive light leather patina. c1670 form showing a little marvering on the lower body (the angling done with a flat paddle tool), and a good incredibly undamaged saturn ring stringrim. In fact decidedly undamaged in every way! On my website for sale like everything else...:)

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 7/16/2012 5:46:07 PM
Dream bottles.

thought we could look at some more effects....heres a good example of overall blue bloom...(it's also actually squared off body shape, but that gets a bit forgotten when yoyu see the colour...!)

By eclipsepatent - 4/29/2012 8:06:25 PM
They should be here by Tuesday fingers crossed. Once here i will get some pictures taken and load on here matey. Cheers Wayne.:D
By blueskins - 6/2/2014 5:33:23 PM
great display wayne,thanks for the pics!
By eclipsepatent - 2/29/2012 8:52:29 PM
Lovely collection again Rob.

Whats on the seal on the large cyliner wine in the first picture?

I still like the blue splashed Bellarmine you got off Steve,as its a missing colour in my Bellarmine display/collection. Off the subject matter a bit, but i like the little dug enamel which looks a rare one.

By eclipsepatent - 2/2/2012 5:23:54 PM
Couple of new additions.I think these are Dutch and hopefully Steve will know for sure.

By earlyglass - 5/6/2012 7:54:29 PM
Did I show you guys this one...

I didn't quite believe it until it was in my hot and sweaty fingers.... Still one of my all time favorites

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 1/29/2012 7:44:38 PM
Im lost for words Mark,  dribble dribble...........:hehe:

Other two are also really great and thank you for taking the time to add them on the forum.

By eclipsepatent - 1/12/2012 5:54:04 PM
I like the contrast between the early glass your side and in the UK,as they both have some different characteristics in shapes and designs that i like. If i was just to collect say English early phials i dont think their would be enough variety to keep me so keen and they say that 'variety' is the spice of life!.Some of the European small pontilled bottles have shapes that we just dont seem to have over here and i have noticed on ebay that early glass from outside the uk is not that cheap to buy anymore.I think collectors have started to realise the worth of National bottles,as they have been educated by Ebay over the past 10 years or so and before then we were quite self opinionated about our own bottles!
By eclipsepatent - 1/8/2014 8:42:46 AM
Nice splash of colour.

By eclipsepatent - 11/22/2013 7:46:25 PM
blueskins (20/11/2013)
really nice wayne,top bottles!

Thank you mate very kind of you to reply. Kindest regards Wayne.:P

By eclipsepatent - 5/5/2012 8:03:39 PM
Yes i was on the phone with Karen who works their and pulled out at £1,800 and  that left two people bidding against each other. With the add ons they would have been very expensive. They made £2,400 without comission which i thought was a lot of money,but great little bottles anyway.
By FRENCHURCH - 1/26/2014 1:09:54 AM
eclipsepatent (11/01/2014)
Few more early bits that have all been found wreck diving but not mine im afraid.

The squat wines and the two square snuff bottles at the front were found on wrecks that date between 1763 to 1788.

Some more early glass.

Wine bottle with blue bloom.

fabilus :)bonnie:) missed these once again forum still not working in right manner:)

By eclipsepatent - 12/16/2013 4:50:16 PM
Needs Mark i think Malcy as im not really qualified but at a guess i would say 1670-80. This is not mine but a picture i took from a recent auction as i was the under bidder,as i offered $5750 for my final bid,but they would not take bid increments lower than $500 so i let it slide,as it meant bidding $6,000. Time i got 20% put on top and their postage and then custum /tax etc charges when it arrived here,it would have just worked out to expensive right on Christmas and it pleased the wife when i gave up.:P
By eclipsepatent - 1/14/2012 7:52:58 PM
Both lovely bottles Steve and the transitional S&G looks in very good condition.I just love that little apothecary jar and such a lovely dinky little size.Funny i heard my wife say that the othe day,but god knows what she was on about,as i was only getting out the shower!:D:D
By Kernowworld - 12/26/2011 6:32:51 PM
i hate you two ...:P:hehe::P

only joking guys i just love the bottles

you two have a really valuable input to the forum and i think its a richer place for you both

keep the pics coming

gives us lot something to aspire to

By eclipsepatent - 11/26/2013 9:46:29 PM
Grobes (26/11/2013)
What's the square one top left. Is it that Wayne's bottle I showed you ? Or something earlier ??

Would like to see some close ups of the flat octagonal utilities please, they look nice and wobbly.

Hi Rob. If its the cabinet of bottles of mine its an iridescent embossed early Gin bottle that i dug from the boat moorings sometime ago now. Probably not worth more than £100 but a real pretty bottle.

By eclipsepatent - 6/23/2012 11:07:26 PM
Cheers Rob and Steve for the detailed replies and sorry it has taken me so long to get back as i have been in Hospital. Thanks again best wishes Wayne.
By eclipsepatent - 7/20/2011 9:05:29 PM
No worries and thanks for taking the time to have a look. Kindest regards Wayne.:D
By FRENCHURCH - 3/7/2012 11:51:27 AM
[/quote]

amazing :)robnee:) you must be tinkled pink:)  a beautiful bottle indeed :) shouts out quality :)

and great credit without reservation goes to :)nightyinagale:) for restoration of your shaft & globe:)

By bulbous neckus - 2/18/2010 3:12:18 AM
Taken me long enough, but at last got round to posting a few old piccies of the only 2 sealed wines that I owned.  They were made for Edward Colyer of Southfleet, a tiny village that is part of Gravesend in Kent. Some years ago I wrote an article for ABC magazine about this family, which included Captain Thomas Colyer-Fergusson who won the VC during the First World War for outstanding bravery. 

By earlyglass - 3/15/2012 4:03:07 PM
Hi Steve, yes they are roughly the same thing. I believe all areas originally used the stones, without handles, but in later mediaevil times the English at least seemed to start adding handles, and presumably amending the process to allow for a gretaer "hands on" approach, probably giving more weight to the polishing and more control. The continent seemed to stick to their stones for a lot longer than UK, although there are various Continental, particularly German examples looking vaguely similar. I have one German example in aqua glass with a hollow handle that could be filled with cool water to keep the iron from heating up too much with all that slicking back and forth. The end of the handle has a small roulleted stringrim/lip. Pretty rare.
The heavy blackglass handled ones are essentially English. here is a useful website for them.

http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/pdffiles/linensmoothers.pdf

However, slicking was a process used in a variety of crafts, in leatherwork and papermaking to name two, so varieties of these could have been used there also.
Do also be aware of confusing these things with pestle and mortar variations, and paint/ink/pigment grinding stones etc. Various items can look similar.
Hope that helps?
regards
Mark earlyglass www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 11/25/2013 7:42:09 PM
Cheers for the comment Betts. :P The squat pontilled bottles at the top all came along in different ways as the first one on the left was an ebay bargain buy it now - middle example was pointed out to me by Roger Pellow on ebay and the one on the far right was purchased off Peter Savage.
By eclipsepatent - 12/23/2011 7:20:52 PM
Here's some of the pontilled phials i kept from my dig in London.

By Kernowworld - 1/8/2012 6:33:00 PM
eclipsepatent (23/12/2011)
Here's some of the pontilled phials i kept from my dig in London.

looking back through this thread this lot stick right out to me ... awesome bottles and i cant even imagine what it would feel like to dig them .. what a dream . .... oh also if you do ever want to sell one .....

By FRENCHURCH - 7/1/2012 12:49:19 PM
eclipsepatent (30/06/2012)
Dug this early looking Gin this morning from the mud / boat moorings and once washed and dried up it went a beautiful iridescent rainbow colour which looks stunning and the pictures dont do it justice.

amazing simply :)amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) bonnie:)

By Mark Potten - 5/6/2012 10:00:45 PM
[quote]earlyglass (06/05/2012)

Superb bottle Mark - I know it does n't rattle but what sort of price would it fetch?

By fossilfred - 4/5/2012 8:27:45 PM
Hi here they are again,must be the fact i deleted some old photos because a warning came up to say i was over the limit on the forum.
How do you put your photos on direct show not as click ons.
By eclipsepatent - 12/9/2012 3:02:37 PM
cam (08/12/2012)
Lovely elixir Wayne....if you don't mind me asking, how much did it go for in the end?it was £60 ish about 2 days before the end if I remember.very nice bottle indeed.

£113 plus p&p which i was quite happy with,as i bunged a £150 bid on. Came off a well respected collector/dealer on ebay and i dont think i have ever had a bad bottle off him so far which is saying something with ebay now days.:w00t:

By eclipsepatent - 3/20/2012 7:50:29 PM
Thanks Steve.:D
By hiramscodds - 7/21/2011 12:22:04 AM
Yes and that transfers  black to boot.:P
By Kernowworld - 1/29/2012 7:19:58 PM
awesome items mark ...very nice indeed
By auld_boot - 9/1/2014 6:37:58 PM
I wonder if any of these early fairings have survived?

http://www.pepysdiary.com/diary/1661/08/31/

Quote from above page: "and I did give every one of them a bauble, which was the little globes of glass with things hanging in them"
By Icenian - 12/24/2013 9:09:13 PM
Beats socks and kaks. Very nice Wayne-presumably you have to buy her a horse now?
By Cornish_Collector - 11/12/2011 10:43:13 AM
That's a nice example Wayne, lovely and crude and no unexpected holes this time :)

Thanks for posting, cheers Mark

By eclipsepatent - 12/28/2012 8:43:09 PM
bolwin1 (28/12/2012)
I saw a boxful at one of the UK bottle shows a few years back. £5 each if I recall correctly. I think they were described as modern & from India. Did look the part.

With my £20 refund and if they are only worth a fiver each,that makes me only £15 down which is'nt so bad after all!:D:D:D

By eclipsepatent - 2/25/2012 10:04:53 PM
Theirs so many nice bottles their and i am please with how well you are doing. Im using this last picture as my screen saver if you do not mind and thanks for posting them Rob. Off to bed now as i have got to be up at 4.30. Cheers Wayne.:P
By Cornish_Collector - 2/21/2014 1:41:40 PM
Super onion Wayne, wouldn't mind that on my shelf ;) Have you found out any information regarding the seal?

Cheers,

Mark

By Kernowworld - 2/29/2012 8:12:14 PM

By earlyglass - 1/29/2012 11:14:47 PM
..sorry, yes as many of you realised, this is one from the "dark side" of the bottle universe, where dreams and wishes become reality, but where you have to sell your soul to get them....or get handy with photoshop!
:P
www.earlyglass.com
By earlyglass - 2/29/2008 5:13:52 PM
...actually earlier than that lodza, about 1780...90 at the latest...

The little clear utility is probably the prettiest little clear glass phial I've seen for a long while in it's shape. These are usually boring and overlooked and not valued, but this one is nice, wouldn't mind it myself for some reason, no great value, but pleasant. .........Oh yes probably aound 1800 but could be a bit earlier.

By eclipsepatent - 1/5/2016 9:00:29 PM
Thank you Malcy.:)
By eclipsepatent - 2/2/2012 8:21:17 PM
I love all of them Rob. The S & G is well worth doing and the pamcake onion is a beauty,but that little phial is really lovely especially with the patenation on the surface.Thaks for taking the time to put the pictures on mate.All the best Wayne.
By Ruby Lane - 7/21/2011 11:14:43 PM
If that collection was sat in my front room I would be endlessly looking at it and never get any work done:)

Wonderful collection you've put together there Wayne and I just love those phials and utilities especially some of the iridescent examples.

Thanks for showing

ATB

Stu:)

By eclipsepatent - 3/10/2012 7:56:15 PM
Ok Mark.

Its a lovely early one that i have been after for ages and almost clear glass with a very thin lip which does has some damage to the lip. I will keep you in mind Mark. cheers Wayne.:P

By eclipsepatent - 1/28/2012 5:33:49 PM
Picked this up just days ago as it was recently dug,but not by me. Measures around 5" to 6" inches in height. Very thin glass with a high inverted base and pontil. Is this continental?  as i think it is more than likely continental than English,but i dont think its American looking at the lip tooling and the small size.

By eclipsepatent - 11/12/2011 5:27:43 PM
Anyone for cereal !!!  :D:D:D This is what the bottle came through the post in!:D:D:D Minus some wraping. Amazing it made it here in one piece!;) I never sent it back in its same packaging and the seller obviousely was'nt to bothered about the bottle before he sent it off.;)

By Mark Potten - 5/7/2012 8:33:34 PM
So Mark what sort of price would one of those Pouhon Spa bottles with the seal cost these days?
By eclipsepatent - 2/6/2012 5:18:34 PM
vogelfluitje (06/02/2012)
Another Question :

Why would the old English phials have the wide lips instead of the more smaller continental types. More glass used and surely more prone to damage when being moved in bulk?
Both types be they continental or English look wide enough to have had a wired on or string tied cork.

Thanks,

Steve

Good question Steve and one i cant answer. I would imagine that the flared lips would break very easily,so would make them prone to damage and dificult to export. Where the Dutch and German phials exported ? as it might explain the lip tooling,but not the pushed in pontilled bases. Where's that Mark when you need him.:D  Love the two iridescent phials. Just amazing little things.

By Kernowworld - 5/16/2012 12:32:42 PM
sweet ...lookin forward to it

just dont bring any cheap phials or georgian glass though :hehe:

By Kernowworld - 1/30/2012 10:13:18 AM
now look what you started mark :D:D
By earlyglass - 2/1/2012 7:40:28 PM
cobaltcodd (01/02/2012)
I know it's something I should have kept over 30 years ago...!

I was going to mention you Rog, as you obviously know all about it now, but didn't want to rub it in! sorry! ;)

Rob, wow! you are beginning to get a feel for these! I've tought you well!!:P
About the right date....:w00t:
Can't be English, of course not for then, and being soda glass (at least generally speaking), but that sort of "English" attribution hope becomes irrelevent this early.

Facon de Venice, utility, and an early one, at least 16th and probably 15th, difficult to pinpoint exactly where from the very concept, but continental obviously. How this survived whole is incredulous. Have had a couple museums after this, and some major mediaevil glass collectorions, but sorry, don't agree with the way most museums are run!!!!;)

earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 1/4/2016 8:23:22 PM
Quick picture of some smaller pontilled bottles.

http://www.bottledigging.org.uk/forum/Uploads/Images/eca9dd1f-5c2c-44ec-92e2-d3f1.JPG
By eclipsepatent - 3/11/2012 3:31:40 PM
gdcc1 (10/03/2012)
lovely lovely sealed bottle .. he who dares wins

that turlingtons is fantastic ... well found

you are on a roll again mate

Cheers Rob and the sealed Mallet was just luck on this occassion. The Turlingtons is a lovely little bottle and as crude as hell.

By Grobes - 10/31/2011 8:33:12 PM
Well done Wayne i was in two minds whether to go for that, but already spent too much money this week.
By eclipsepatent - 3/9/2014 4:21:53 PM
Thanks mate and im very sorry for the slow reply as i have not been on the forum very much recently. All the best Wayne.:P
By eclipsepatent - 5/6/2012 6:26:28 PM
[quote]earlyglass (05/05/2012)
Here's another cheaper one but which is just as rare and I was pretty pleased with, I love anything square, rectangular or octagonal....

Lovely lip on this bottle Mark the way it droops down. As for the two onion shaped apothecary bottles i also liked the one on the right far more.The small decanter apothecary that sold on Ebay is  just delightful and totally amazing that that handle survived all those years. One clink and its off!!:D

By eclipsepatent - 2/2/2012 7:00:32 PM
gdcc1 (02/02/2012)
what is your bottle then mark :w00t:

Maybe a peep at the base or pontil will shed some light?

By Grobes - 2/10/2012 4:39:53 PM
Seriously Wayne you need to have a look at auctionsniper. ;)
By earlyglass - 12/8/2007 11:01:51 PM
....it's difficult to date the Manser bottle because of the strangeness of shape/styleform etc, but obviusly much earlier than 1841, and before that of course there are no census's - a fact that always bugs me because I do a lot of geneology research, but nearly all my bottles are way older than most easily searched archives.

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 5/9/2012 8:40:22 AM
newell76 (08/05/2012)
thats a lovely looking bottle wayne:)

Thank you for the comment and i will keep an eye out for Guildford ginger beers for you on my travels.

By Kernowworld - 1/6/2012 8:54:40 PM
cheers steve ... i just love em .. will do on the teeney one ...it was a relative bargain off ebay
By eclipsepatent - 5/8/2012 6:58:36 PM
Its because we both like the bottles so much that we want to keep it all.:D:D:D
By eclipsepatent - 10/18/2011 2:43:24 PM
[quote]earlyglass (17/10/2011)
There are two sorts of blue bloom. Glassgall, the one mentioned in Steve's post (as per WillyVDB) is fairly rare but VERY contrasty and beautiful, usually over most of the bottle. Slag is an all meaning term that can relate to a variety of glass batch conditions and mix ratios in the pot. The blue bloom that I would say Waynes image shows a very good example of is slightly more common occurencegenerally and usually relates to a temperature difference effect when working the bottle. It usually shows itself on the bases where pontilling takes place, or the necks and lips where stringrims are applied. in both cases the area is re-heated directly or indirectly by the pontil rod in the one case and by putting the lip back in the eye and/or applying the stringrim. In Waynes image case the effect has in fact spread over more of the body, which is much rarer for this type of bloom, and is essentially down to reheating of the entire body to do some additional re-shaping. The actual chemical effect or explanation is not something I know enough about, just I know it is an effect, probably in combination with certain atmospheres at the time of blowing.

Hope that explains somewhat. it's a nice example Wayne.

Very interesting Mark and thanks for taking the time to add this information as its nice to know how this effect takes place in the glass and i think it looks very attractive and something a bit different amongst the early glass etc.

By Cornish_Collector - 10/2/2011 6:31:52 PM
Super bottles Mark ! Can't wait for the next instalment :)
By Kernowworld - 1/31/2012 9:01:46 PM
lovely bottles wayne , especially the small one ..i got two that are similar but mine are english ... i would have put it as english but i bow to steve as he sees a lot more continental gear than me .... i would say stopping teasing uds with these beauties but im loving it
By eclipsepatent - 8/10/2010 10:43:14 AM
Love the wines Andy and i dont mind some patenation on the bottles,as it gives them some character and shows they are all genuine. The long neck black glass mallet at the back left looks a super bottle as well. Would love to see some other pictures when you get some free time, all the best Wayne.:D
By BillyBear - 7/20/2011 7:53:44 PM
Kin el Wayne!!!! awesome thats all i have to say.
By FRENCHURCH - 10/10/2011 6:44:12 AM
earlyglass (11/12/2007)
a couple more, got these last year I think it was...

berlovely heat effected early piece :)nightinagale:) like juniper berrys on a misty morn a thrill to see such exceptional freaks as to the opposite the word implys or conitations a beautiful piece of glass i,d plum for this one any day:)

ummm feel like i,ve been here before oh yes all posts have been deleted:) oh yes an an :)americana:) forum member :)suggested i was serial killer of sum sort:w00t:

i do declare :w00t:do you did you  really  really think so mister :)americana :) think so:w00t::w00t::w00t: with pink red blue and green hair  did you  :D

By FRENCHURCH - 3/1/2014 10:08:29 AM
eclipsepatent (25/12/2011)

Not to sure on the age of this one i have and i think its a snuff bottle.

European pontilled wine bottle with high kick up to base.

One of my favourite iridescent pontilled bottles i have. DR SOLOMON'S BALM OF GILEAD,NEAR LIVERPOOL.

:)super :)bonnie :)gilead indeed my goodness just gotta louve bottles :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

By bottle - 1/29/2013 12:26:27 PM
I dunno, I just assumed they were American as the English tin glaze seems more delicate and prone to damage,though I know very little about early stoneware.
Cheers
By eclipsepatent - 7/3/2012 5:11:41 PM
Squat wine i recently dug. Nice crude offset neck.

By eclipsepatent - 3/7/2012 6:20:42 PM
gdcc1 (06/03/2012)
CHEERS WAYNE ... HES DONE A FANTASTIC JOB ON IT  ... I LOVE  IT .... NOT SURE IF THE METHOD AND MATERIAL IS A TRADE SECRET OR NOT

Ok sorry i asked as i did'nt think Rob and i dont want to get you in trouble and you are right not saying. Im impressed with Marks restoration and he clearly has hidden talents.By the way i love the rainbow coloured display and was the rainbow iridescent onion on the far left off Roger as i know he had a lovely example.

By eclipsepatent - 2/8/2012 9:46:26 AM
Grobes (08/02/2012)
Marvellous stuff on this thread.

Thanks Rob all the best Wayne.

By Kernowworld - 1/28/2012 7:51:34 PM
thanks for all the piccies steve .. some mental gear though .. enjoy seeing them

nice bottle wayne .. english looking pontil but continental looking bottle ..id plonk for european somewhere

By earlyglass - 10/2/2011 4:12:33 PM
I just realised how lax i am not putting some of my earlyglass on this forum. Sorry! here goes

I love these small ones, not always as early as they look but this one still pre1700...

Some of you might recognise this one, a good classic dated mallet for the period

handles coming up everywhere these days!

I'll try and put some new ones up regular from now, these pics just happened to be handy

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 6/2/2012 1:50:26 PM
Thanks Steve.

This one is Victorian and was purchased at a jumble sale for £1.25 years ago.

By eclipsepatent - 1/28/2012 8:03:39 AM
Jesus!  Spilt me beans when i saw this one..

By eclipsepatent - 6/4/2014 4:44:31 PM
Thanks Malcy and i am very sorry for missing your reply and also for keep missing your phone calls. Monday mornings before 10 is a good time to reach me mate. Hope you are keeping well best wishes Wayne.:D
By eclipsepatent - 5/14/2012 8:24:00 PM
It looks a stunning little shaft & globe and the restoration looks very good from the picture.
By eclipsepatent - 5/4/2012 6:01:13 PM
vogelfluitje (03/05/2012)

Hey , good to see you back Rob.

A little silvered rare square iridescent one is on its way and should be here in a few days along with a strange mystery one ! Ill put the pics up when they get here:)

Very nice Steve and different from the usual cylindrical shape.

By FRENCHURCH - 2/21/2014 7:54:08 AM
you've done it again :)bonnie:) top of tree with this magnificent sealed onion the patina gorgeous :w00t:the seal beautiful :w00t:& the sleek Reynard the fox & split sized breath taking a jewel:w00t:

By FRENCHURCH - 12/26/2013 9:11:28 AM
eclipsepatent (24/12/2013)
My wife got me this small pontilled apothecary phial for Christmas all though a little premiture.Measures 3 3/4" inches in height. Sorry the pictures are poor as they were taken indoors without a flash.

just love the item :)bonnie:) what a super present the colour shape etc ever so cute a:):w00t: stunner:w00t::)

By eclipsepatent - 3/3/2014 3:37:24 PM
Getting their very slowly Mark. Wish i could get to more shows,as i want to add some more sealed wine bottles to my collection. Thank you for the reply.
By eclipsepatent - 2/9/2012 8:15:15 PM
I loaded three iridescent phials on the other forum for the comps and in a minute i will put them on here for you.
By earlyglass - 8/29/2014 5:48:17 PM
One from me....."BY THE KING'S PATENT CEPHALIC SNUFF" C1780-1800 ultra crude solid pontilled med. Cephalic snuff was medically considered helpful for headaches etc. Amongst the earliest of the pontilled meds and stillmy favourite with this one being particularly dark green. This one has a small bit of stringrim knocked off, but not too fussed. ..:)

Have it for sale at just £280 SPECIAL FORUM MEMBER OFFER post free...:) www.earlyglass.com

THIS ONE NOW SOLD! MANY THANKS.....:)
By earlyglass - 1/29/2012 9:13:15 PM
..I think Steve was joking Rob!

www.earlyglass.com

here's another for the iridescence fans...

By eclipsepatent - 5/9/2012 6:28:48 PM
Love these three and how crude can a bottle get!  These three remind me of stone henge! :D and i think they are really lovely, so get them on the for sale thread quick before someone digs a hoard!:D:D:D  P.S. love the off set neck on the one on the far left and the patina build up on the middle bottle.
By eclipsepatent - 5/7/2012 5:29:31 PM
Thanks for the information on the sealed spa bottle Mark and such a little stunner. This bottle has blown me away and what a super dream bottle it is. I could look at it all night.I can remember years ago a small snuff bottle coming onto ebay with a wopping seal that was just fabulous. Think the seal was from London and i wish i had kept a picture of the bottle as it would have been a great one to add here.

By earlyglass - 3/9/2012 4:45:49 PM
those images of the jug make it look really good Wayne, almost want to buy it back now!!!!:P
regards
earlyglass www.earlyglass.com
By Ruby Lane - 5/6/2012 8:40:05 AM
Really like those Steve...what an attractive quartet they make for!
This might be a dumb question but have these been made with such thick black glass to deliberately prevent light penetration and therefore preventing deterioration of the product(s) kept in them?
Great thread this by the way...amazing diversity of vessels included in it :). That tiny onion-shaped phial/vial you're currently using as your signature piece is just sublime Steve.
Thanks to all who have contributed to this interesting thread:)
Cheers, Stu
By Betts - 11/25/2013 6:40:22 PM
Beautiful bottles and each one of them unique.
Thanks for showing.
By eclipsepatent - 6/3/2012 6:01:17 PM
fossilfred (02/06/2012)
I once had a pontilled clear glass labeled jam. Very crude wobely shape,sold it at the bletchly winter national,years ago.sorry dont have a picture.Also had couple more,also pontilled but not labeled.Sold them for peanuts,would have kept them now!! mind you i could say that about alot of stuff i had:D

I know the feeling as i sold some super bits many years ago that are iriplacable! so your not on your own matey.:D

By eclipsepatent - 8/20/2010 6:18:26 PM
Always so polite Mark and one of my favourites members on the forum.Your a gentleman and a top guy. Thanks for the nice comments mate,really appreciated.
By earlyglass - 9/9/2014 7:28:16 PM
This one now sold, thanks guys....:)
By eclipsepatent - 2/1/2012 2:53:54 PM
I have'nt got much of a clue Mark as im still learning the ways of early glass. Looks European or possibly American,but im only having a stab in the dark mate.Also saw a German spirit flask like this once! Please dont take this the wrong way,as i dont know if theirs a bit of a trick to your question! but its not one of those American copies is it? It looks dead genuine to me,but the Soda glass being mentioned might have been a good clue.

By eclipsepatent - 10/17/2011 9:53:22 AM
vogelfluitje (16/10/2011)
It does look very English looking at the bottle nearer to the bottom.Looks like the bottom of an english mallet as it tapers in ever so slightly.The underneath looks English for sure.

There is a sort of cross over point though with this black glass and onions etc....where its extremely hard to tell.
Some of the great English onions were made in Belgium for example.
Ive dug sites here where broken pieces are obviously so English or what we take to be English ! Were they imported from England or made here (Holland) or Belgium? I cannot see them being imported here as it wouldnt be worth it, many great glass blowers were already here and the low countries were well known for there huge export of bottles to the UK.
The best way is to just appreciate the old glass for what it is, a great piece of history wherever its from, after all Belgium and Holland arent that far away and the glass blowing of the 17th century - 18th century is somewhat entwined anyway. I am sure we will have more answers in years to come.......Maybe not in our lifetime though. Someone needs to seriously research not just the whole items but all the broken onion necks found here and the UK etc.....The types that are instantly recognisable as being either British or continental seem to be the early phials as the lip style between the two are very different and pontil mark as well, but who knows , there may be even a cross over period here too? Wouldnt it be funny if suddenly it were proved that some typical British black glass was actually made on the continent.....would we not covert it the same way we had before knowing this ? I think not.

Just out of interest....I have found 3 broken necks in the past from what appeared to be shaft and globe bottles.......alas never the whole bottle though :)

Steve

You have a point their Steve as this one baffled me and maybe some were made in Europe etc for the british market.The only other thing that i thought that maybe he added the wrong picture of the base by mistake! as it looks darker in the picture compared to the actual bottle, but i know different lighting conditions can make glass look lighter or darker and different colours. Your three broken shaft & globe necks are worth a bit as they are,as anyone with the bottle missing the neck could probably use one of these for a restoration.

By Kernowworld - 3/7/2012 6:41:45 PM
cheers lads

marks gonna get inudated now ;)

no worries wayne ... i try not to say too much even if i know it sometimes .. yep , the onion was off rog as is half my collection i think :D

By auld_boot - 1/27/2014 8:57:49 PM
eclipsepatent (27/01/2014)
Cheers Malcy for the replies. Just thought a few of the members would like to see these but their seems to be a lack of interest in early glass on the forum.:D

I don't think it's a lack of interest Wayne, my 'recent posts' search has gone weird these last couple of weeks and appears to be selectively showing or ignoring some updates.  I assume it's related to the upgrade work that is ongoing at the moment.

By earlyglass - 7/13/2012 9:50:05 PM

earlyglass
By earlyglass - 2/29/2008 10:53:17 AM
three top bottles there, though I know the one I'd be keeping, it's as good as any similar that I've had or seen. Lovely long neck, interesting unusual lip etc, very squat body.

It's all personal of course. I guess a lot more people would prefer a blue Hartlepool codd apparently?!!!!:D

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 7/22/2011 12:14:25 PM
earlyglass (21/07/2011)
[quote]eclipsepatent (21/07/2011)

that's the way it should be Wayne. Yes i get all sorts of mega money stuff through my hands, but a good amount of it does nothing for me, at least not after the initial small buzz. Sealed, dated onions etc are bread and butter to me, but show me a small crude utility, that probably has cost me way less than a couple hundred and I'm drooling and acting lovesick for days...aesthetics and historical interest, crudity and craftmanship are the things for me.

And now I've just added to my lamp collection...oh joy of joys!!!! one I've been after for a long while and that means far more to me than the sealed shaft and globe I just bought....:D

Thanks Mark once again and im pleased you aquired a good lamp for your collection,as adding anything decent now days seems to be very hard.

By BillyBear - 4/30/2008 9:56:02 PM
And we are still reeling!!
By Kernowworld - 2/1/2012 6:52:05 PM
soda glass ....... does that make it not english ???? possibly roman but dont look right for it ???

obviously rare ... very light possibly means roman though ????

i go for 15th century , still going english and a generic utility ?

By bottle - 11/26/2013 9:54:18 PM
eclipsepatent (26/11/2013)
bottle (25/11/2013)
Cheers

Truth is i dont actually know. Most like these top three examples have come along around the values you mentioned,but the one in my signiture picture cost me £600. They seem like they are getting more expensive every year. Thanks for the reply kindest regards Wayne.

Many thanks for the reply wayne. Such bottles are so beautiful & captivating as it is- they don't need to be squeky clean or have fancy embossing etc to look good. Just superb. Do you have a picture of all your phials together? I remember you posted one a while back but the collection has grown no doubt.:) also is that a sealed shaft and globe on the top shelf of your wines cabinet?:w00t:
Thanks again
Cam
By eclipsepatent - 1/29/2012 5:37:30 PM
Here's a Dutch Apothecary bottle or at least it was listed as one. Not the same sort of lip,but in the same style.

By Kernowworld - 2/25/2012 9:45:15 PM
:D:D:D

CHEERS LADS .. THE COLLECTION SEEMS TO HAVE BLOSSOMED THIS YEAR IN THIS DIRECTION

HERES A FEW MORE

By fossilfred - 4/4/2012 7:21:20 PM
A couple of self dug pontilled bottles.
Small utility from Northamptonshire,
Octaginal from Warks Oxford border
By earlyglass - 5/6/2012 8:05:19 PM
...though this one more recently is fairly high up there, with my weakness for octagonals...

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 5/3/2012 10:07:06 AM
You have me puzzled and everyone else! Lay off the hard stuff! :D:D:D
By Cornish_Collector - 1/28/2012 11:27:13 AM
By eclipsepatent - 5/8/2012 10:23:26 AM
Totally agree about it being better than a shaft & globe Mark and this is the little snuff i mentioned earlier. One of my all time favourite bottles.Did you sell it on? and what would this little bottle be worth on todays market? Must be 5k plus.

By Cornish_Collector - 3/7/2012 5:25:23 PM
By Kernowworld - 6/10/2012 7:33:46 PM
yes wayne they are a much needed distraction  from everyday life but i also got detecting ( which i dont have much time for ) and basic gardening which really helps me chill ....... sorting nash comp as well now which is takin a bit of time
By mykyg - 12/28/2012 8:32:43 PM
It appears that you have got to be so careful in this game!:crazy:

MickG
By cobaltcodd - 2/1/2012 3:17:46 PM
I know it's something I should have kept over 30 years ago...!
By eclipsepatent - 1/11/2014 8:08:36 PM
Few more early bits that have all been found wreck diving but not mine im afraid.

The squat wines and the two square snuff bottles at the front were found on wrecks that date between 1763 to 1788.

Some more early glass.

Wine bottle with blue bloom.

By eclipsepatent - 12/8/2012 4:07:50 PM

Picked this little iridescent pontilled wine or Elixir up off ebay.Think its European rather than English but theirs something about it that i really like.

Just going to put this rare little mini damaged onion on ebay. Its quite attractive with the barnicles and all,but im just running out of room at home to keep everything.

By eclipsepatent - 3/20/2012 3:31:14 PM
Been a bit busy lately and not had enough spare time to add pictures etc to this thread.

Here's a early pontilled hamilton i recently picked up off a friend which is still early glass of a sort.Sorry about the amount of pictures as i got a bit carried away as i really like this bottle. Decided to start collecting coloured early hamiltons and the way things are i will be lucky to add one a year!:D

By Kernowworld - 6/14/2012 12:58:58 PM
i hear that mate ...yours were the last bits i got .. that really is a lovely phial
By Grobes - 2/12/2012 9:28:01 AM
eclipsepatent (10/02/2012)
I know you are right and i must sort something out sooner or later as i miss so many things through being home late or falling asleep. CAN YOU TELL ME?  Once you have set a price, if later on you decide you do not wish to bid,can you reverse the process, or is is set in stone once the price is fixed?

Theres an edit or delete option. Or the other reversal process of selling it on if you win by mistake lol.

Maybe sleep is more important than tatty old bits of glass ? After all we only need one of them to stay sane, or do we :P

By earlyglass - 2/2/2012 10:11:26 PM
...about a week, hopefully!;)

earlyglass

www.earlyglass.com

By earlyglass - 1/30/2012 9:35:50 AM
...sorry guys...winding you up with D'aths Lotion of Almonds.....oh if such a bottle could exist except as a quick photoshop creation...!:P....

earlyglass

By eclipsepatent - 12/6/2013 6:52:51 PM
FRENCHURCH (06/12/2013)
the squat dated seal magnificent & what a gloss ,,also the patina onion smashing

Your always welcome Mr undesirable Lurker i mean Malcy.:D:D:D  You have better manners than most on the forums and are nearly always one of the first to reply to a post on the forum. Thank god your on here matey cheers Wayne.:D

By eclipsepatent - 3/22/2013 3:59:07 PM
Thanks Mark.:P
By eclipsepatent - 4/18/2012 7:31:38 PM
Love your avatar Steve.:D
By eclipsepatent - 2/10/2012 11:12:52 AM
Yes its nice having an early glass thread Steve on the forum and also great to see other collectors bottles etc.

I've just got home from work and just a little to late to bid on this! Anybody on the forum win the sealed onion.I've got to get a modern phone, as it has no internet like most phones now days and most of the business men i deal with just cant believe the phone im stil using!:hehe:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Vintage-Old-Green-Onion-Shaped-Bottle-/110819600672?pt=UK_Collectables_Scientific_MJ&hash=item19cd5ce920#ht_500wt_1287

By eclipsepatent - 10/16/2011 5:49:52 PM
Thanks for that Steve as thats a great insite of whats been found and also what to look out for when buying one of these. I would love a dated 1600 example like Marks as i have one with an odd date of 1597.
By sj220163 - 8/24/2010 8:37:38 PM
Great pics of early glass, ( my brother has off loaded a lot of bottles recently - colored codds, hamiltons , rare GBs etc. but he aint parting with his black glass. - dont blame him -) they are so unique. Thanks for showing.
By eclipsepatent - 12/23/2011 8:48:18 PM
So is the date around 1720 to 1740? I am not up on the British made phials at all, but think I remember a date like this from looking at the British museum site.

Truth is i dont actually know the exact age Steve for sure and it is'nt the easiest task dateing pontilled phials. They were mainly dug with mallets and Onions around 1710 1725 and the Mallets would date 1730 to 1745, so in reality all these phials are between 1700 and about 1740/45.Their was 19 pontilled phials in total including the larger green example which is'nt in the line up and all had no sickness/patina at all and are actually gleaming mint when washed and dried up. Whats more strange is the phials were in a slimey pinkish grey wet ash and usually when you dig in a wet area everything is sick,but not these and neither were the mallets or the onion i dug, yet the damaged shaft & globe which has sold on ebay and the globular phial which im still after were sick and patenated beyond beleif! I know Colin sold some of the mallets etc he all ready had on ebay years ago,as we had the dig in 2001 and god knows what was missed,as he only had one dig before me and him went and drove past the site for nearly a month,before going to investigate.We also had some delft tin glaze plates in two halves and some in several pieces,tin glaze bleeding bowls and barber bowls/plates and several plane delft ointment pots all about the same size bar one small bluish tin glaze pot which i think i sold on to cobaltcodd on the forum years ago before my early hunger!.Some where in my shed are some of the plates,as some had deer and stags on in hand painted pale blue and others had a king and a queen in blue.Also their was one with a blue ribbon type design with a date which i think was 1674 or their abouts.I still have a tin glaze pot with a blue design going around the outside,but the foot is broken off and i was going to get it restored when i get round to it. We only had about three hours in total and i had all these items plus the Bellarmine i dug in the side of the hole,which i still have full with contents,as it was still corked or what ever it was stoppered with. Would have made a mind blowing report on the forum if i had my camera with me that day!

Here's a nice deep aqua/green conicle phial,which was found clearing a small piece of land in Gravesend high street about five years ago,but not dug by me. 3 1/2" High.

Here's a few more i have at home and another green example which is smaller than the first one i posted.

By mudlark - 7/18/2014 5:48:08 PM
Thanks for the Reply Wayne. . I love your bottles on the thread- especially the phials. I only own one but its got to be my favourite bottle Must be amazing to dig one of them... and mint - amazing. I've only ever found bits of early wines apart from one bit of early aqua utility.

I take it from the lack of a response that its a mystery for everyone else too. Anyone have an idea about this one...Mark?...Roger? Id be grateful for an opinion.

Cheers
By earlyglass - 4/14/2008 11:27:09 AM
...the onion and the late squat are particularly nice. There are a few strange later Welsh bottles with full seals and appealing proportions like this. You sometimes get clumps of them in the same locality. You can just see some Welsh gentleman showing off his bottles to his friends then they all start copying him...

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 2/7/2012 6:10:55 PM
Green English pontilled phial with a thin flared lip. Very crude with a dent to the side which gives it a little more character.

This globular phial came off a forum member.

Roman bottle.

Two very early English phials.

English teal green Conicle phial.

Not pontilled but cross hinged if i remember rightly.

clear flint glass with cross hinge seam across base.Looks black due to being found in a river.

By burroughs4me!! - 5/3/2012 10:50:17 AM
wish i was on the hard stuff , am i the only person on here seeing frogs in icecubes instead of pictures ??????????????????:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:
By Grobes - 10/17/2011 9:09:14 PM
Thats a beauty Wayne.

Thanks for posting the pics

By eclipsepatent - 6/30/2012 7:56:12 PM
chelt original (30/06/2012)
thats nice, love the ballerna and the colour, wonder how it got to this country.

Cheers Chelty and i was thinking the same. I know the boat moorings was used for smuggling hundreds of years ago and also must have had someone from Europe throw their bottle of gin over the side one evening having a drink maybe.:D

By burroughs4me!! - 5/3/2012 8:16:35 AM
Hi Wayne , mentioned this before but cannot work out why all i see on your thread are ice cubes with a frog in them , cannot see what everyone is drooling over :w00t::w00t:, I am certain i am missing some cracking stuff :):),can anybody explain this !!!
By FRENCHURCH - 5/1/2012 7:02:46 PM
magnificent selection :)bonnie:) love them all i agree with your favourite:) stumpy neck and marvellous irridescence:) but i think the conical ones a wee gembaroonie to:)

:)all great to see and enjoy:)

By mudlark - 7/20/2014 8:52:28 AM
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Still a bit of a mystery. I'm more inclined towards Marks opinion on the possible powder/makeup pot purely based on its design. I've got a period leech/cupping jar and it not really like that despite me suggesting it (the lip for the muslin attachment on the leech jar is much smaller). When you hold it in your hand it definitely feels like it was designed to retain something inside of it... and probably be corked. It is reminiscent of some of those pots of cosmetics and creams that used to come from the Avon catalogue. Its amusing to think that if this was for cosmetics then it was probably for some sort of Syphilis-b-gone to be used before a night out on the tiles.
Thanks again

Phil
By bulbous neckus - 4/28/2008 4:46:54 PM
THAT'S A BEAUT --- AND WHAT A REALLY UNUSUAL SEAL.  LOOKS LIKE THE CROSS OF St.GEORGE BUT WITH THE ISLAMIC CRESCENT MOON.  I WONDER IF THE FAMILY HAD ANCESTORS WHO WERE IN THE CRUSADES ?

By Groves Whitnall - 12/4/2007 6:59:17 PM
[quote]earlyglass (03/12/2007)
....This one I got early last year, just love the very early shape...

(sorry if I'm taking over here!?:P

NOW THAT IS FEKKING STUNNING! THE SICKNESS GIVES IT SUCH APPEAL!

By earlyglass - 5/14/2012 7:33:03 PM
This one I showed to my wife today....and now I have an excuse never to sell it!:) (she has excellent taste!;)
A simply sublime shape and early!....just love it....love it!

It was damaged but I lovingly rescued it from it's hospital bed!......and now it'll spend a few nights at least, by my bed so I can wake up and fondle it every so often...:):):):)

www.earlyglass.com
By earlyglass - 1/29/2012 6:36:09 PM
Here's one I had recently, English this one.

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 3/10/2012 7:43:44 PM
Picked this very crude early pontilled Turlingtons up today which was found in an old chemist in Rochester in Kent along with a green Daffys many years ago.I've left it grubby in its natural state and i dont think i will bother to wash it up,as i quite like it as it is.

By Grobes - 6/2/2012 9:59:52 PM
eclipsepatent (02/06/2012)
Thanks Steve.

This one is Victorian and was purchased at a jumble sale for £1.25 years ago.

Oh god....... Thats a cracking contender for a certain cabinet of carefully contemplated credentials cumulating in the collection of crisp condition chemist curio.

Cue camera for close capture of corner creasing.

By fossilfred - 1/29/2012 7:18:22 PM
CRACKER!!!:P
By eclipsepatent - 6/5/2014 7:50:47 PM
Cheers Malcy. Just working none stop lately and my digging pal has split from his wife so i have only been out a few times digging on my own. Talk to you Monday morning mate if you are up in the morning before 11 clock.

Cheers Wayne...
By eclipsepatent - 2/20/2012 6:43:30 PM
Cheers Steve and i guess either Mark or Roger will definitely know,as both have great knowledge of early glass. Wonder where our mate Rob is? I recon having the new nipper and i think also he has been doing a lot of extra hours at work,have taken up his spare time. I feel like the three Muskateers have broken up! :D:D:D as long as its not the Marx brothers!:hehe:
By bobblackberry - 2/18/2010 11:38:39 AM
2 very rare priceless buets you have there
By Kernowworld - 2/16/2012 8:41:24 PM
never been so busy :w00t::w00t::w00t: im a trolley dolley on line shopper now and off nights and our company is booming ;);)

the bellarmine took me by surprise ............... its freaking awesome ... so happy .. so much better  than the pics and totally untouched .. will put some pics up when we get back from hospital ;);););)

By fossilfred - 10/2/2011 6:28:26 PM
Now i have got them!!:w00t:
By earlyglass - 12/3/2007 4:06:16 PM
...some really nice stuff in there wayne, the little 1749 was of course a belter!...like those iridescents and some of those phials too...

I'll have to put some of mine up here now I know how to do it....

here's a small one I picked up when everyone else had gone at Stratford...

and a large one earlier this year in auction

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 1/29/2012 3:17:58 PM
demetae (28/01/2012)
Love the Glanaravon seal :) Have a few from West Wales but much later (1820s-30s). The free blown for 50p is a bargain fairly new or not and theres something about it that I like well done on picking it up

Thank you Simon.:D

By sj220163 - 1/27/2012 11:45:56 PM
Pics appreciated as ever , thanks for taking the time steve.
By eclipsepatent - 10/27/2011 2:59:41 PM
This ones currently on ebay though damaged!  but i thought it was worth posting just because of the lovely art work that has been done all those years ago.

By Kernowworld - 7/17/2012 4:28:11 AM
:D:D:D:w00t::w00t::w00t::D:D:D

;)

By eclipsepatent - 11/24/2013 5:10:17 PM
Thank you to all three of you for the lovely comments as i always appreciate it and you write so nice and poeticly at times Malcy you could have been a writer. The three squat examples at the top with the deep pushed in pontilled bases i think are approx 1680 to 1700 in age but hopefully Mark can help and the three below are late 18th century and i picked these three to post because they have nice smooth patina and are all slightly different shades of iridescent colours.The silvery looking one on the right turns a iridescent green when turned around in the light and reminds me of my old tonic jacket back in the 70's.:P Kind regards Wayne.
By eclipsepatent - 2/18/2010 6:04:03 PM
The dated sealed Northfleet wine is my favouite as i like the double collar lip and the bottle more in general, but they are both very nice indeed.
By eclipsepatent - 3/27/2008 9:01:58 PM
Thanks chaps for the comments on the three bottles and im sorry i did'nt answer sooner. I often post pictures and forget to look back at the comments!:hehe: Hi Paul me old mate, The seal reads:  GLANRAUON 1749. Im not 100% sure,but i think this is a Welsh seal. Earlyglass (Mark) will know for sure. cheers Wayne. :P
By eclipsepatent - 1/28/2012 7:52:42 PM
It was dug in Essex but god knows where and it cost me 50p.

Its around 5 3/4" inches in height and made of very fragile thin glass. I have seen this style lip on some of the European bottles, so thats what made me think definately not English. I quite like it and i have put it in my collection of smaller pontilled bottles for the time being.

By amberstar - 3/12/2012 8:18:51 PM
Thanks for showing Wayne. What does it date back to?
By bulbous neckus - 2/19/2010 12:04:09 AM
Yes, I agree Wayne --- my favourite as well.

By eclipsepatent - 2/8/2012 9:51:09 AM
vogelfluitje (08/02/2012)
All of them are truely fabulous bottles and the great photography shows them off to full effect........The Rimmels is a great colour !

Great to see them and thanks for taking time to upload them.

All the best,
Steve

Cheers Steve as always mate and theirs loads more to take pictures of and put on the forum in time. The turqiose blue Rimmels is a lovely early bottle and i know of one other in John Aults collection which was dug by me on the pig farm tip in south west London many years ago with Hilltop on the forum. It came right out of the bottom of the hole along with a small blue May Davis cyliner and a Pears & Lubin pot lid in super condition.Think i sold the Rimmels for £12 or £15 back then to John,so shows you how long ago it was.

By eclipsepatent - 10/3/2011 5:51:28 AM
Thanks for putting the bottles on Mark and i love all of them. Love the first one and look forward to seeing some more items when you get some free time.
By Kernowworld - 5/14/2012 10:14:19 PM
one of the nicest bottles ive ever seen ... any chance of a closer look at the next club please ?
By earlyglass - 2/14/2013 2:36:33 PM
Yes, Dutch, (or mor elikely actually Belgian made but for the vast Dutch and Dutch colony market, and to be honest not sure if anyone knows exactly what they were used for, but probably preserves, fruits in spirits, bulbs, tea, powders, that sort of thing. the shape is rare enough and inherently fragile, but I've never seen a sealed one before....

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 2/21/2012 6:12:48 PM
Hi Rob.

Hope the nipper is doing well and you both are'nt to worn out and i love the picture of the wee lad.

The Conicle phial is a rare form especially with the large flared lip and even though the lip is damaged, a worthy bottle in any collection.

Now this one really grabbed me Rob,as i love the small size and the early style lip and shape of the whole bottle and the onion bottle looks before 1700 to me and typical English. I like that real ingrained iridescents/patina which you often see on early land dug bottles,as i had a few simular many years ago that were dug in the heart of London. Wish i still had them,but it took a long time for my tastes to mature or possibley for my brain to develope! Thanks for making the effort, all the best Wayne.:D

By eclipsepatent - 1/8/2012 8:21:55 PM
Your welcome Steve but your knowledge on early glass and Bellarmines etc is probably far better than mine.Amazing little early wine bottle and definately a keeper.

Hi Rob it was very exciting digging the pontilled phials in London,but when i was digging them they were covered in a wet mucky pinkish grey slime and did'nt look that great sitting on the side of the hole until they were washed and dried up at home.Digging the Bellarmine gave me the biggest buz of all,as its one of those items you would never expect to dig ever.All the best Wayne.

By eclipsepatent - 7/1/2012 3:10:52 PM
FRENCHURCH (01/07/2012)
eclipsepatent (30/06/2012)

amazing simply :)amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) bonnie:)

Thanks Malcy for the reply. Kind regards Wayne.:P

By eclipsepatent - 3/21/2013 4:40:34 PM
Pictures of a English Bladder wine i aquired for my collection.

By eclipsepatent - 12/8/2012 6:58:13 PM
Ok Rob. I dont mind a cheque or the usual pay pal gift to save fee's. Dont have a lot of choice with ebay as you get what your given!:D
By eclipsepatent - 6/12/2012 11:52:53 AM
Nice colourful little apothecary phial.

By eclipsepatent - 6/11/2012 5:53:50 PM
Wish i could get out in my garden chelt,but it has'nt stopped raining for the past three days!;):hehe:
By eclipsepatent - 2/9/2012 8:18:06 PM
Here's the three iridescent phials i mentioned. I also collect opals mainly for the colours and iridescents and the iridescent bottles with their colour changes at different angles and lights remind me of a good opal.

By Kernowworld - 1/5/2012 6:56:49 PM
i hate you cos i love them and they should be mine

:D:D only joking on the hate bit but they are lovely

By bulbous neckus - 8/20/2010 6:19:30 PM
Great stuff, but that snuff with the sagged lip is superb !

By eclipsepatent - 2/20/2012 8:01:15 PM
I know Roger is taking some time off and is going to cruise the river highways of Britain,but not sure where Mark is and probably busy or out buying bottles.
By andyh - 8/21/2010 9:05:35 AM
hi wayne

i hope your coping ok

the colection is mind blowing you have some amazing stuff on your shelves the very swirly onion looks awsome and wot a colour:Wow::blush::Wow: thanks for taking the time and effort to put them on

cheers matey andy

By Kernowworld - 6/30/2012 8:15:47 PM
:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t: thats feckin awesome
By mykyg - 12/29/2012 1:45:28 AM
:)Look at it like this Wayne; you have just paid for a lesson for, I believe, a lot of us!:)
If I'd have seen those at a boot sale, I would have bought them!

Owe you a pint mate:D

Happy new year

MickG
By fossilfred - 5/6/2012 7:47:41 PM
Very nice display,can i have a glass of what ever the bird next to the yellow pots been drinking!:P
By eclipsepatent - 1/17/2014 5:13:53 PM
Just thought some of you would like to see this dutch onion which is not mine.# Unusual having two seals.

By eclipsepatent - 12/6/2013 6:55:36 PM
bottle (06/12/2013)
Love the onion wayne, almost looks metallic. I will hopefully be buying some earlyglass soon, will get pics on when i do.
Cheers
Cam

Thanks you for the reply Cam greatly appreciated. I treated myself to a few goodies as i sold an expensive bottle at Kidlington the other day, as its a bit of a struggle to buy the more expensive bottles usually. Kind regards Wayne.

By trog - 7/1/2012 11:59:26 AM
Hi Wayne.

A very nice bottle which dates to around 1890 and is scarce and very desirable for Gin bottle collectors:)

By eclipsepatent - 11/22/2013 7:51:40 PM
earlyglass (22/11/2013)
A nice grouping and mix Wayne.
My one criticism and it's just a personal display-orientated thought is that some of those superb iridescent ones you have (and I know you have one or two excellent examples, as good as any I've seen) to me always look better on their own - i.e. away from the "shiny" stuff, so I would personally put the iridscent aged surface ones together, and the shiny ones in another area. Also to me in both cases, mixing up the forms helps avoid the "rows of the same thing" look. i.e put in amongst the sealed cylinders some of your small utilities....etc. It just seems to break up the boredom and makes each individual item look better.

But that's only my personal taste and opinion. Try it and see what you think.

earlyglass

Thank you Mark as i appreciate any help and i was only thinking the other day about making a display of iridescent only bottles and one for all the small phials ect. Never thought about putting different or different shaped bottles amongst the sealed cylinders but it makes sence to break up the shapes etc. Many thanks Wayne.:P

By eclipsepatent - 12/23/2011 3:19:35 PM
I managed to purchase this one back,but had to pay £250.I dug the phial in east london along with some other phials,plus five complete mallets,one onion and a Bellarmine minus its handle.I gave this one away,thinking it was just light aqua or clear glass and  when Colin washed it up it was green with a lovely striation type swirl spiraling around the body. I would guess its around 1720 to 1740,as it was dug with several other phials and three of the mallets,but non were sealed. My friend Colin dug where it was earlier and only found one phial which was much fatter and almost globular in shape and a Shaft & Globe minus the very top and string rim which sold on ebay years ago.All the phials and mallets were dug approx 8 feet down and was in the bottom foot of light redish pink ash that was quite wet and slimey,and the ash looked like the ash from a fire place after burning. They all had no sicknes of any type at all and all looked sparkling mint when washed up. I still have five or six of the original phials and two of the black glass mallets and if anyone wants to see any pictures in the future you are welcome.Lastly i also had some nice tin glaze bits and dozens of small early pipes and a small strange slip ware pot and several onions and mallet lips and necks and then one very large pot the size of one someone would use to releive them selves back then,which was dripped i a green heavy glaze.I threw some dirt over this little haul incase we had company and an hour or so later we got spooked!! and thought we were going to get kicked off or get in trouble,so we decided to leave quickly and we was going to go back for a night  come early morning dig the next day and when we got back the hole site was boarded up with blue six to eight feet high boarding and their was a security chap sitting in a car at the gate! so i never got to retreive all my other bits and bobs which was very upsetting.

By bottle - 12/28/2012 6:38:30 PM
Definatley a crack Wayne- looks a bloody big one too!! But they aren't as old as they first appear- it was featured in a BBR mag a while back. A lot of people thought they were 17th or 18th century, and someone emailed AB saying they saw a boxful whilst on holiday! They do have some age though, mid Victorian I think? I still like them though, really crude with the deep kickups!also glad you got some cash back, eBay's a minefield these days!:)
By earlyglass - 3/7/2012 11:19:08 AM
If forum members would like, and if Rob doesn't mind, I have a complete before, during and after batch of photos for this one that I could put up, just out of interest.
I'm no expert on restoration, I just have a feel for the shapes and a limited level of artistic skill, but I do love doing it, and hardly ever charge what it has cost me in time, but it is just great being able to resurrect from some fragments/partial bodies etc, initially very sad and despondent to become a complete proud bottle once again that displays well and the temporary guardian can show off on their shelves!...:)

earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 1/30/2012 12:32:38 PM
Knowing John he has one that size! What we talking about!!:D:D
By eclipsepatent - 8/25/2010 11:29:07 AM
Thanks Andys, j220163,and chelt. Its really hard to get hold of very attractive iridescent early glass and the colours range from white,silver, gold, bronze,copper,blue, green,some have all the colours like a rainbow effect. The gold/copper coloured English onion is my favouite and i dont think i would ever come across another. I find the ones that come out of rivers or wet ground,tend to be more rainbow coloured and so do the ones that come out of poluted rivers and ashy poluted ground,which may be partly due to oil and other chemicles seeping through the silt to the bottle. The silver, bronze, and gold ones seem to come out of dryer ground and have a thicker coating on average that does'nt flake off very easy. Glad you liked them all chaps, kindest regards Wayne.:P
By mudlark - 8/28/2014 10:28:31 PM
Cheers Wayne I'm glad you like it.

I still cant get over the fact that you have dug some. My finest moment was finding a load of busted up sealed mallets and coming away with the seals. I felt like Indiana Jones - proper treasure.

I will post some more photos of early stuff soon.

All the best

Phil
By earlyglass - 8/29/2014 9:01:46 PM
yes you are right Malk sorry, will go back and edit them....:blush:

www.earlyglass.com
By Kernowworld - 2/21/2012 12:18:14 PM
sorry lads ... been pre-occupied ;):w00t:;):w00t: .... still had bottles on my mind and have even had a wonderful present of one on the birthday of our son by a really great bloke ;);) been checking in but my oh my got a lot on

heres a crap picture or two of the onion and a few of my present from a top bloke

and i couldnt help one more picture of the lad

By fossilfred - 4/4/2012 7:46:55 PM
The utility is 11 cm
The octaginal is 17cm

Couple more pictures
By earlyglass - 1/29/2012 9:49:08 PM
yes sorry Rob, I looked again and he does seem to be asking. it was just me - they are so obviously not Roman, but I forget that not everyone is so certain about all this stuff.

here's another

This is a pretty historic one, dug by Ivor Noel Hume himself...:):):):):)

By eclipsepatent - 12/23/2011 3:02:11 PM
Rob great minds think alike and we must have the same tastes in early glass mate. I really like the one on the far left with no neck the same as you and its a shape i am missing amongst my pntilled phials. What i like about these bottles Steve and Rob, is even if you get two the same shape and size, they will still be different where they are so crude and also iridescents comes in different shades and colours. Have all these got a lovely silver iridescents Steve? I think im starting to prefer my pontilled phials and other small pontilled bottles with the iridescents or suface patenation still in place,rather than sparlkling clean. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of these phials when you receive them and have time to load them onto the forum Steve.
By andyh - 8/24/2010 5:37:28 PM

wow wow wow they are something else wayne im not jelose at all:pinch: honest absolute belters if ever you let these go wayne please please please let me know (although i know the answer allready;):);)) i realy hope you get some more nice stuff at the shows

cheers again matey andy

By Kernowworld - 3/10/2012 8:27:33 PM
lovely lovely sealed bottle .. he who dares wins

that turlingtons is fantastic ... well found

you are on a roll again mate

By marshmallowsky - 1/28/2012 10:46:08 PM
Unless you know for certain that it was dug up Wayne I wouldn't be sure that it's that 'old' it looks a lot like the tops on the more modern free blown persian bottles to me!?! Still at 50p it can't be bad! :P

Hope it turns out good for you ;)

Chris
By Kernowworld - 2/10/2012 7:11:32 PM
t.v ?????????????????? whats that ... we dont got no electric  to the shed we live in down ere and the sun goes down early in the winter so ................. :D:D:D

not long now till my most ( as well as ellowyn ) precious prsent turns up :w00t:;)

By earlyglass - 10/8/2011 8:31:25 PM
was pleased to get this one a few days ago, nice early squat shape, that I always like, as well as the benign face and date of course.

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 12/16/2013 9:42:59 AM
Just thought i would add this little 5 3/8" inches high Shaft & Globe which i thought some of you might like to see.

By eclipsepatent - 2/6/2012 9:55:00 AM
vogelfluitje (05/02/2012)
Just to keep this thread going......

A couple of my irridescent phials....these the larger type.

Sh#t you'v done it again, Just love them......:hehe:~:hehe:~:hehe:

By Muddy - 12/7/2007 12:53:09 AM
Now there are some FANTASTIC piece........Sh*t, just drooled all over my keyboard and shorted it out:D
By earlyglass - 10/28/2014 4:38:31 PM
yes that's not an uncommon story, I've bought several "Roman" pieces which were much more desirable early English. Yours is a nice classic late 18th C phial, rather slightly unusually clear glass....

www.earlyglass.com facebook group: Earlyglass for sale & show
By eclipsepatent - 6/7/2012 6:41:03 PM
Steve their all amazing bottles and i really like the wrythened example and never seen one of these before. I also like the second one in from the left in the first picture.
By CAPSLOCK - 7/3/2012 7:36:31 PM
I`VE BEEN TRYING TO SELL ONE OF THOSE FOR THE £50 I BOUGHT IT FOR WITHOUT LUCK:D WILL HAVE IT AT THE NATIONAL:hehe:
By Kernowworld - 5/3/2012 8:13:30 PM
cheers steve .. good to be back ...

lovely phial there ... theres probably more phials etc oin this thread than anywhere else at the moment

By eclipsepatent - 6/14/2012 6:44:30 PM
Thanks Rob.:D Think the real choice bits are collection locked and its like waiting for summer!!:D:D:D
By FRENCHURCH - 7/3/2012 5:41:29 PM
what a berlovely nailsea rolling pin an all time classic piece of glass:)

well done :)bonnie:) on both items

By eclipsepatent - 2/19/2012 9:35:35 PM
I agree with Rob as the sqaure ones a little different and i like that fact that it has no neck. Love the bits you put on here Steve. Many thanks Wayne.
By trog - 6/2/2014 2:36:44 PM
Wayne ,

What an amazing collection of early bottles and wish we had a bit more age over here in OZ to collect:):):)
By Cornish_Collector - 1/7/2012 7:49:39 PM
By Grobes - 2/8/2012 9:31:38 AM
Marvellous stuff on this thread.
By Kernowworld - 2/11/2013 7:43:54 PM
CHEERS MATEY ..ITS A WRENCH TO SELL IT BUT I GOT SOME PHIALS COMING MY WAY , POSTCARDS ARE GETTING EXPENSIVE AND I OWE SOME DOUGH FOR RECENT PURCHASES SO ITS GOTTA GO
By eclipsepatent - 1/7/2012 9:12:23 AM
Jesus Rob your a bit of a dark horse as theirs a few i would love their and all of them look really super. I see theirs a stunner which looks very early and quite fat in the body second from the left with the top damaged and another phial on the same shelf over to the right which looks a real gem. That phial is one of the smallest i have seen Rob.Is it English or Roman,as i know some of the Roman bottles are quite small in size,but it does look like a very small English phial.Cheers Wayne.
By clivef - 5/28/2012 8:48:26 PM
earlyglass (14/05/2012)
This one I showed to my wife today....and now I have an excuse never to sell it!:) (she has excellent taste!;)
A simply sublime shape and early!....just love it....love it!

It was damaged but I lovingly rescued it from it's hospital bed!......and now it'll spend a few nights at least, by my bed so I can wake up and fondle it every so often...:):):):)

www.earlyglass.com

Hand blown!!! Sorry couldnt resist.
By earlyglass - 5/5/2012 9:54:36 PM
...and i was the underbidder.....dammit!!!! I really wanted the right hand one and went way over my limit but still lost, well perhaps thank Codd, in the end, that was too much. but there we go, it happens.
The winner equally went way over their limit too! but at least they won it!;)

www.earlyglass.com

Here's one of the more recent ones to come through my hands...love this, almost too much to let go, but guess I have to!
Some of you guys have seen it but I guess this thread isn't just for us 4 :P
By Kernowworld - 2/1/2012 8:20:35 PM
cheers mark ;) ( kinda dumb saying it was english looking back esp as i was leaning towards continental as well )

that ones gotta be english surely and maybe late 1700's ???... a food stuff ???

By earlyglass - 1/29/2012 6:49:56 PM
...but this is one ofmy favorites...

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 6/10/2012 7:23:19 PM
Another good read Steve and im just about to have a glass of wine and here's where it will go all wrong! :D
By eclipsepatent - 8/4/2011 7:19:24 PM
Picked this one up off a friend the other day which was recently dug near London.

No idea about the initials on the seal but looks a nice bottle with a large seal. If anyone know anything about the seal i would be very greatful,as it would be nice to know where the bottle comes from and who the initials are for.

By Ruby Lane - 11/23/2013 8:39:47 PM
Ditto Malkey's comments Wayne...a grouping of true beauty.

A pleasure to see and thanks for showing.

Atb, Stu.

By eclipsepatent - 1/31/2012 9:13:18 PM
Thanks Steve and Rob and us three have became a mini team of early collectors,almost like our own private club! I will keep you in mind Steve,but the small one you asked about has'nt made my shelf just yet. Their was a simular one on ebay recently,which was listed wrong amongst a pile of cracp bottles.
By Kernowworld - 6/22/2012 9:02:53 PM
lovely bottle .. i reckon its a generic utility ??? maybe even a foodstuff ... i think they are hard to pinpoint exactly ... i really like it  ..... not a phial  obviously and too large for a snuff ???? so i think a utility but not sure
By FRENCHURCH - 12/16/2013 11:14:40 AM
eclipsepatent (06/12/2013)
FRENCHURCH (06/12/2013)

Your always welcome Mr undesirable Lurker i mean Malcy.:D:D:D  You have better manners than most on the forums and are nearly always one of the first to reply to a post on the forum. Thank god your on here matey cheers Wayne.:D

& A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU :)BONNIE:) ,,,,THE MINI SHAFT & GLOBE IS JUST SUPER FINE :w00t:COULD YOU PUT THE AGE OF THE FABILUS PIECE OF GLASS AS GUESSTIMATE :)

By eclipsepatent - 2/10/2012 3:58:38 PM
Cheers Mark as i thought you would have been one of the top candidates.I know Chris Boltitude has won some of the early glass over the past year or so,but it does'nt really matter now as its gone. I amazed it fetch that amount of money as the seal was in bad shape and the usual string rim damage etc as well.Theirs always a strong risk of a crack when a bottle has came out of the sea.

I was going to bid £685 so i would have lost out anyway,but i was under a lot of stress and pressure trying to get home from London in the traffic to bid which always seems to happen when im keen on buying something!

By eclipsepatent - 10/4/2011 5:28:31 PM
Another four interesting pieces of early glass Mark and i once saw one of the boot sahped wine bottles that was dug in Colchester. Never seen a rolling pin that small before and i think its really cute and must be very rare. The phial is a beauty and i also have a weakness for these small early glass bottles and they dont take up to much room either. Lastly the Shaft & Globe is amazing and a stunner of a bottle. Thanks again for posting them. Kindest regards Wayne.:P
By eclipsepatent - 4/29/2008 10:03:10 PM
Thats lovely David and i just love the English sealed onions. Any other nice seals in your collection mate? Cheers Wayne.:P
By Grobes - 1/18/2014 11:34:43 PM
Wacky stuff. Thanks for showing.

Never get bored of this sort of stuff.
By eclipsepatent - 5/3/2012 1:47:12 PM
earlyglass (03/05/2012)
superb group of phials wayne, and utility. would deffo have them myself, obviously. did you get them reasonable?

earlyglass

Hi Mark. They was'nt cheap but it seems like nothing is now days. The people i purchased them off were very pleasant and nice to deal with. The packing was very professional and after the un-wrapped Bellarmine that came smashed to pieces, it was great to get a parcel where everythig was packed correctly. Thank you for the reply.

By eclipsepatent - 4/28/2012 7:26:44 PM
Smashing little bottle Steve and would be a keeper for me.

I have some early iridescent bottles on the way at the moment. I will post some pictures next week.

By FRENCHURCH - 11/23/2013 8:09:17 PM
NOW THATS WHAT THE BOTTLE FORUMS FOR TO INSPIRE WITH CELEBRATION:)

FABILUS :)BONNIE:) TEXTURE SHAPE SURFACE PATINA:)

GRABS YOU & TAKES YOU TO A SPECIAL PLACE OF ADMIRATION FOR PAST BOTTLE MAKERS:)

:)A JOY & PLEASURE TO VIEW:)

By bottle - 12/8/2012 9:21:36 PM
Lovely elixir Wayne....if you don't mind me asking, how much did it go for in the end?it was £60 ish about 2 days before the end if I remember.very nice bottle indeed.
By bottle - 12/6/2013 4:25:56 PM
Love the onion wayne, almost looks metallic. I will hopefully be buying some earlyglass soon, will get pics on when i do.
Cheers
Cam
By earlyglass - 12/11/2007 8:16:36 PM
a couple more, got these last year I think it was...

nice blue bloom on this one, and small of course

by the way, this one is square......you can't see it from this view, but I'm showing the blue here. There are two of these but one has a large chip out the neck.

...sorry did I say a couple? oh well, an interesting shaped long necked mini onion seal, with provenance and my own initials mallet.

By eclipsepatent - 7/23/2012 7:45:17 PM
Kernowworld (23/07/2012)
thats lovely mate .. i was one of the underbidders :w00t: nice nice bottle

Cheers Rob.:D I had a feeling that you may have had a bid. Its a bit simular to the one you got which was mis-described amongst a small batch of bottles on Ebay not so long ago. Cheers Wayne.:P

By eclipsepatent - 5/6/2012 8:11:00 PM
Kernowworld (06/05/2012)
i agree with that ... you do seem to ferret out some great bits

those 2 are lovely as well mark

i know its not early glass as such in the same vein but i seem to have got a collection of georgian glass going on

oh and a proper bit of early glass i got off rog ... been trawled up and cleaned years ago but still has the worm lines

Great pictures Rob and i love all the grooves and lines on the Onion and i wonder if this had been caused by prologed tube worm catings.

By Kernowworld - 2/2/2012 6:55:52 PM
what is your bottle then mark :w00t:
By Kernowworld - 1/31/2012 9:24:24 PM
yeah feels like it mate ... that small one in with the other crappy bottles is now on my shelf ... think the seller was surprised it went so high and that i told him to keep the other 4 bottles :D:D

just had an amazing onion turn up today that i got off the bay ...irridescence uunder the glass .. golden , red and allsorts .. smaller size , mint and just lovely ...totally made up by it and much better than the pics .. will put pics up as sson as i can

By Kernowworld - 1/29/2012 9:16:02 PM
i thought he was being serious ...my bad if im being gullible .... another corker there mark
By eclipsepatent - 3/3/2014 3:09:51 PM
Thank you for the reply.:P

Here's three globular apothecary bottles etc i have in my collection.Sorry got the day off and now im off work i am bored!:D

Trawled up drug jar.

By eclipsepatent - 3/9/2012 3:42:51 PM
Cheers Mark.

I was the under bidder on ebay,as the guy said it was damaged and when i got the the Winter National, i saw how lovely it was on Marks stall and had to have it. Theirs some real plonkers on ebay at times.:D

By Kernowworld - 5/7/2012 7:04:23 PM
suiperb bottles mark and thanks for the comments  guys ... think the worm ridden onion was a  steal off rog but its staying where it is for a long time as i love it ... i hope so mark re value as id be quids in
By Mr Digger1 - 11/25/2013 9:16:51 PM
some nice early bottles wayne thanks for posting some pictures.
By eclipsepatent - 8/24/2010 3:51:52 PM
Hi Andy.

I have some pictures of them somewhere mate,so i will put them on later fo you later. I like the iridescent ones i think more than the clean and shiney examples and some collectors are starting to move more towards patenated examples than in the past. Still quite a novice collection at the moment,but hopfully i wont be so busy next year and i can spread myself about a bit and get some more expensive pieces.

By FRENCHURCH - 3/6/2012 9:31:45 PM
earlyglass (06/03/2012)

FABILUS GLAZE ON THIS WARRENS :)NIGHTYINGALE:) JUST GORGEOUS:) EVER SO AESTHETICALY PLEASING ,THANKIN YOU KINDLY FOR PICCYS:)

By eclipsepatent - 11/1/2009 5:04:37 PM
Thanks Nev. Got bored today and thought i would load some pictures on just to keep myself busy, as it has'nt stopped raining all day here,:hehe: so boot sales and digging went out the window today!! :D
By auld_boot - 2/14/2013 8:18:52 PM
Not sure if this is helpful or just confuses the issue:

Came from this site: http://www.gocek.org/christiansymbols/Default.aspx?search=ihs

By earlyglass - 5/7/2012 6:51:42 PM
Thanks for the kind comments Steve. Yes, also love these early commercial seals, way more interesting than yet another private gentleman.
I think this following is one of the earliest English made commercials...

www.earlyglass.com
By eclipsepatent - 5/5/2012 3:41:53 PM
These two were in Auction just recently. Lovely genuine un-touched pair of apothecary bottles.

By eclipsepatent - 3/19/2012 8:54:04 PM
Thats a lovely little handled decanter onion or handled apothecary bottle. Shame about the damage Steve.
By eclipsepatent - 1/31/2012 5:30:30 PM
English 5 1/2" iridescent Apothecary bottle. Sorry theirs so many pictures.

By mykyg - 11/25/2013 10:18:43 AM
Only just seen these: absolutely fantastic; you're so lucky to own those; thanks for showing :)
By eclipsepatent - 6/22/2012 6:01:11 PM

Just wondered what this bottle is classed as? Not sure if it was for medicine or a larger type snuff container etc.It has an English style pontilled base simular to an early wine bottle base. Quite small approx 6" inches in height.

By eclipsepatent - 11/1/2011 1:59:18 PM
Thanks Mark.

Here's a picture of the damage. I could live with the chip,but a small hole inside the chip which was not discribed!! just is'nt fair. In picture 3 you can just see the hole.

By mudlark - 11/1/2014 1:25:36 PM
Thanks for the responses - I thought as much. I've seen a couple of clear ones before (there is one for sale on ebay at the moment) and they were that sort of greyish clear antique lead crystal type colour but this one is actually very pale green - the lighting in the photo doesn't do it justice really its got nice swirls in the glass and some nice patches of iridescence. Its also quite small at only 64mm or so high.

thanks again

Phil
By earlyglass - 3/22/2013 3:33:01 PM
That's also a really nice example of a bladder Wayne. They can be a bit boring. Roger is right though about the rarity not relating to the value.

.....Perhaps here I ought to do a "Blakey" and say that I have a good bladder just come into my stock too!..:P:P:P:P:P
Interested bidders...sorry buyers.... can view it at Cirencester.

....there...I'll start walking about in shorts and a teeshirt next!..:D:D:D

earlyglass
By cobaltcodd - 3/22/2013 10:27:59 AM
Bladders are so much rarer than onions or mallets, they should be worth a lot more than they are.  That looks like a real nice early example from the 1730 to 1740 period, unlike the later ones that are roughly around 1760-1770.
By earlyglass - 5/3/2012 10:32:30 AM
superb group of phials wayne, and utility. would deffo have them myself, obviously. did you get them reasonable?

earlyglass
By blueskins - 5/5/2012 4:09:28 PM
real quality looking bottles wayne!:)
By eclipsepatent - 11/22/2013 7:47:01 PM
bottlesjhbottler (20/11/2013)
very nice collection mate

Thank you for the reply really appreciated. :P

By eclipsepatent - 1/28/2012 8:32:31 PM
Thanks Rob. John Ault was standing next to me at the time and even he said i should have my head chopped off and stuck on a pike! :D
By Cornish_Collector - 8/20/2010 6:11:03 PM

By earlyglass - 12/3/2007 11:22:35 PM
about 3/4 size that one...

By eclipsepatent - 6/4/2014 4:42:12 PM
Your welcome.
By Kernowworld - 2/16/2012 7:16:39 PM
still here but been doing 12 hour days on two jobs and we are having someone turning up soon so have been a bit pre-occupied ;)
By soda_syphon - 3/1/2014 11:56:12 PM
Crikey that looks like the most gorgeous rainbow on the Liverpool bottle. Most unusual and unique.
By earlyglass - 12/5/2007 12:01:11 AM
.... yep, totally agree, really looks like it comes from 1650/60, not made yesterday!

www.earlyglass.com

By eclipsepatent - 1/31/2012 8:41:08 PM
Thanks Steve for the reply really appreciated and FF as far as i know it was dredged out of a river in London and i think near the Uxbridge area.
By eclipsepatent - 11/11/2011 9:30:38 PM
Recent buy off ebay.

By Kernowworld - 5/3/2012 3:45:34 PM
they are awesome wayne ...love em ... well done on finding them out

sorry for lack of responses but so busy at mo that when i get on here im so tired i cant be bothered to post much

you have both made this my fav thread

i weill get some pics up very soon of new gear ive got

By eclipsepatent - 1/28/2014 8:21:13 PM
Thanks Darren for the info and the nice reply.:D
By eclipsepatent - 6/30/2012 7:53:47 PM
vogelfluitje (30/06/2012)
I tell you what Wayne, thats got to be one of the nicest bottles I have ever seen! Seriously, I could stare at that all day:) What a great find mate and well done:)

If you ever get sick of it, please let me know as I would love it!:D

All the best,
Steve

Thanks Steve and i will keep you in mind if it ever goes. I was suprised that it was European and not English and must have came across the water at some stage by boat.

By eclipsepatent - 2/24/2014 7:53:36 AM
Thanks mate for the reply :D and you often hear bottles being mentioned as sex or bottle porn. Think us bottle folks are a breed all of our own. :D:D:D
By eclipsepatent - 12/13/2007 10:14:06 AM
Not much in the way of quality here,but i thought i had better make the effort to put a couple of pictures on.

All Souls Common Room Wine bottle,which has a lovely sagged or depressed shoulder and the seal is slightely lower down on the body than most you see on these wines, but i have seen seem earlier ones than this example and three pontilled utilities/meds.Cheers Wayne.:P

By eclipsepatent - 12/26/2011 3:08:25 PM
Christ thats an amazing one with the striations/creases to the body and also having beautiful iridescents as well. Love it.:D
By earlyglass - 3/5/2012 8:21:31 PM
have been totally remiss in contributing to this thread, so here's my latest that I'm really pleased with...a little overlooked bargain on ebaym

"Smyths "Arquebezade".....brilliant name! Smyths were a perfumer, although the contents smelt distinctly of alchohol/old wine....?
By eclipsepatent - 2/1/2012 9:08:51 AM
Cheers Malcy for the nice comments and its a lovely early bottle and in good condition all apart from a little nick on the edge of the lip,which is very small. I think iridescents adds character and a unique quality to a bottle and much of the time i prefer them like this than clean and shiney and sometime boring.:D
By eclipsepatent - 12/28/2012 8:43:51 PM
mykyg (28/12/2012)
It appears that you have got to be so careful in this game!:crazy:

MickG

To true and thanks for all the help everyone.:P

By eclipsepatent - 6/10/2012 7:30:39 PM
Do any of you's find the bottles take your mind off the pressures of work? as i work mostly in the centre of London and spend most of my day on a calculator and watching the stock market and its great to get home and look at the collection or see whats on ebay or the forum. The only other pressure release i have is having a go on WII MARIO CART with my youngest daughter which seems to be every evening lately.:D
By earlyglass - 5/6/2012 9:49:21 PM
..love the wormed onion Rob, it's what aging aesthetics is all about...:)
I predict bottles with this quality sort of character will one day outstrip shiny mint in value...

www.earlyglass.com
By Kernowworld - 2/1/2012 8:24:10 PM
ps will get a pic of the onion and phial on very soon when i got some spare daylight to photograph them .. still love the onion ...
By eclipsepatent - 7/14/2011 5:20:18 AM
Thats very interesting and thank you for taking the time to post it on the forum. kindest regards Wayne.
By marshmallowsky - 3/10/2012 3:06:50 PM
Nice sealed mallet Wayne, I was watching it on ebay when it disappeared. I thought someone had probably bought it outside of the auction. I didn't think to contact the seller so fair play to you! He who dares and all that!!

Chris
By eclipsepatent - 3/11/2012 3:32:24 PM
clivef (11/03/2012)
Here are some really early turly's - poss my favourite bottle of all time. The one on the right is poss as early as 1790.

They are all lovely Clive,but the one on the far right is exceptional.

By earlyglass - 12/11/2007 10:28:59 PM
...yes Wayne, the first one is a bladder, and yes, it's generally said that causes the blue bloom effect. I like your "plum" term as well.

By FRENCHURCH - 2/6/2012 6:11:36 AM
fabilus shaft and globe :)robnee:) will look superb when final restoration complete:) looks great even now:) 

:)stevevogue:) the irridescence first class and what a wee cutey lip on bottle:)

By mykyg - 11/20/2013 10:11:01 AM
I'm drooling all over my keyboard! Lovely display Wayne, nice to see; thanx for showing us.:-):):)
By eclipsepatent - 3/9/2012 3:29:12 PM
Some recently purchased items. Sorry about all the pictures got carried away.

This is another Ebay buy which disappeared off ebay and i contacted the people who was going to relist it better and managed to buy it.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1673/014gz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

By FRENCHURCH - 1/4/2016 8:33:27 PM
what an amazing selection a pleasure to view bonnie:)
By eclipsepatent - 10/31/2011 2:36:31 PM
[quote]leverc (30/10/2011)
Thats beutiful Wayne !!!

Is that hand painted? from production or at a later date do you think?[/quote]

Cheers Chris.:P

I just purchsed this olive octagonal pontilled med or cure off ebay today, as i dont have one with a short nect like a medicine bottle in my collection and its not often you see this shape in this colour glass.

By Kernowworld - 2/19/2012 9:33:27 PM
god that square one is nice .. fingers crossed i will ave a few bits to show very soon
By Kernowworld - 2/2/2012 7:17:34 PM
oi wood .... empty your pm box mate ;)
By cobaltcodd - 10/28/2014 4:15:38 AM
Very English, late 18th century. I've seen some very nice English phials being sold on ebay as "Roman".
By eclipsepatent - 8/25/2014 4:00:06 PM
Hi Phil.

Would love to see a picture of your phial one day,as im still as keen as ever with the phials more than anything else. All the best Wayne.
By eclipsepatent - 12/6/2013 4:11:16 PM
Couple of recent acquisitions.

By eclipsepatent - 5/6/2012 6:29:12 PM
All four of those black glass bottles are amazing and i have not had anything like them yet. You certainly do find some super bits Steve.
By eclipsepatent - 3/6/2012 9:47:02 PM
Lovely S&G Rob and looks a very good repair job. Whats the neck repaired with?
By earlyglass - 1/25/2013 9:36:03 PM
This thread HAS been quiet for a while, thanks Wayne for resurrecting it!
So thought I should add this one that's coming to me very shortly...ex Jonathon Horne, but I don't think it'll be staying with me very long unfortunately...!

earlyglass
By eclipsepatent - 5/1/2012 7:55:14 PM
auld_boot (01/05/2012)
"Think this one is my favourite. Its actually olive green with a pontilled base and has this stunning thick iridescent patina all over the bottle."

Don't worry Wayne there's nothing there a quick tumble wouldn't sort out!

Of course I'm only kidding, fantastic bottles thanks for posting them.

Cheers Darren!:D:D:D I also like the very dark green one near the top of the group picture with the irirdescents if we are talking about the same bottle

By eclipsepatent - 2/6/2012 6:12:23 PM
I would think the wide flared lip would make it difficult using string to keep the cork in place,like some of the wine bottles with string rims and i cant see any real benefit for pouring either. Probably just the design at the time but i dont really know! I also like some of the lips on the Dutch or European bottles,as they are so different and they all make a nice contrast when collecting these early little bottles.